Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I always wanted to ask this question too, but I was just too afraid. So, I for one am glad this thread exist :apple:

Well, I can't speak to your fears, but one can always use Google: type "iPhone glass". BOOM! The fifth result is:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/ap...e-and-extends-talk-time-to-8-hours-269721.php

June 18th, 2007: "....said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO "We've also upgraded iPhone's entire top surface from plastic to optical-quality glass for superior scratch resistance and clarity."

There's a whole world out there to get answers from. Good luck!

kleo

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
For all the n00bs saying the iPhones screen is a "plastic glass", your totally talking out of your asses. A spectral analysis of the entire iPhone was done by some guy determining the exact composition of every component on the iPhone. Here is a link to the x-ray diffraction of the iPhone screen in an electron microscope. Now let me explain what that funny looking graph at the bottom is showing us. The x-axis represents the atomic # and the y represents the intensity. As you can see they highlighted the element Si; being the main component of glass. There is a spike at the Carbon marker but if the iPhones screen contained any plastic (hydrocarbons) it would also contain ALLOT of Hydrogen. Does anyone see a spike at the 1 mark of the x-axis NO. NO hydrocarbons no plastic.

So you ask what is this amazing material that is both durible and scratch risistant? Well it is clearly a glass and i suspect it is VERRY similar to this. Notice how they advertise it for "touch displays":eek:

Stop making **** up if you dont know dont add to the stupid pool...

brandonzar

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
Regardful?

Dang, and I'm always correcting my wife for saying things like "dethawed," I blame the fumes in my lab. :(

For all the n00bs saying the iPhones screen is a "plastic glass", your totally talking out of your asses. A spectral analysis of the entire iPhone was done by some guy determining the exact composition of every component on the iPhone. Here is a link to the x-ray diffraction of the iPhone screen in an electron microscope. Now let me explain what that funny looking graph at the bottom is showing us. The x-axis represents the atomic # and the y represents the intensity. As you can see they highlighted the element Si; being the main component of glass. There is a spike at the Carbon marker but if the iPhones screen contained any plastic (hydrocarbons) it would also contain ALLOT of Hydrogen. Does anyone see a spike at the 1 mark of the x-axis NO. NO hydrocarbons no plastic.

So you ask what is this amazing material that is both durible and scratch risistant? Well it is clearly a glass and i suspect it is VERRY similar to this. Notice how they advertise it for "touch displays":eek:

Stop making **** up if you dont know dont add to the stupid pool...

Good find, thanks for posting this.

MyJelleo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

voicegy said:
Why is this thread even in existence?

Who cares what the floor model had / had not. It's a well known fact that iPhone has glass, and they'll never waiver from that - why would they? It's easy to clean and stays looking brand new.

End of story.

Why ask any question then? Isn't that one of the purposes of a forum even though answers exist else where?

By asking a question on a forum, not only do you get answers but other related questions are brought up and discussed.

If the thread is that worthless to you, why even post here? Aren't there other threads that you can go to to complain about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.