Did the remove the Infared sensor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rudyrudell, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rudyrudell macrumors newbie

Does the latest retina MBP have a infared sensor for remote control use? I don't see it in the specs. I will be sad if not.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Looks like it's gone.

3. Freyqq macrumors 601

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That would be a shame. I sometimes use the remote when watching movies on my MBP.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

It's not in the MacBook Air either, it probably just took up too much room. Although I would prefer it, they probably just want you to use the iOS control apps now. I preferred having a physical remote for keynotes though, and I think that looks much more professional than holding an iPhone while giving a speech.

6. rudyrudell thread starter macrumors newbie

well guess I'll get a 10 dollar usb-to-IR receiver for it if I get it... all these external things I'm going to have to add to it just to make it what I'm used to having

CD-drive...
    IR receiver...
    Firewire port...
    Ethernet port...
    extra usb port...

all things I'm used to having on my current 17" MBP that have made things easy (including that extra screen real estate)...

I'm hardcore due for a new work station MBP but I'm bummed the new $3000+ retina-mbp is going to require all these extra peripheals to make it feel like the good old one. granted I won't use things like the cd drive too often, but the ethernet/firewire/IR receiver are pretty much used constantly.

I hope it can power a Mbox2 as well off it's usb port...

7. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

That's disappointing, I use the remote quite often. Is there any app out there which will support controlling DVD Player from an iPhone?

8. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

... theres no dvd drive... maybe rip and use home share from a machine with a larger hard drive

9. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92