Did the Safari update screw something in your system?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by John01021988, Apr 19, 2008.

1. John01021988 macrumors 6502

After I applied Safari 3.1.1, my system started to act in a weird way..... My Time Machine stays at Preparing for Back up forever, Office Apps crash constantly, fricking spotlight crashes, the system itself became a little unstable, I cant even restart in a proper way sometimes. I ran Onyx and it fixed "some" stuff but still, spotlight is acting bitchy. Any suggestions?
    P.D: Sometimes iTunes refuses to quit.... driving me crazy.......

2. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

It's most likely an isolated case where something on your system isn't playing nice with the update.

Or did have you installed or downloaded other files or apps on the same day? That could also cause problems if you hadn't restarted between the new software was installed and the update came along. You don't always see problems until a restart if they change something in the system.

Can you not restore Safari 3.1.0 from your Time Machine back-up and replace it over Safari 3.1.1? That might work (don't count me on it though - I'm not a Mac technician. Just saying from what I've learnt about Macs).

3. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

As stated above, it could be a carry-over from something else, but after the Safari re-start I had choppy graphics with simple things. Coverflow would show tearing when moving through files, dragging windows across the screen was jerky and typing in ANY application- Mail, Spotlight, Adium, Opera or whatever had a big lag between the keys being pressed and the words appearing on the screen.

I searched for a fix and a couple of years ago something similar happened with Tiger and on the Apple boards someone recommended resetting PRAM or something? CMD + Option + P + R on Boot, re-start and it all works fine now :)

4. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, Ill restart the PRAM, long time without doing that. Thank you guys

5. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Do you have any third party system add-ons/haxies?

Any itunes add-ons/extra third party plugins?

Was the system doing strange things before the current problems?

Safari does make changes to ichat and the system dns and in turn could cause other issues.

6. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

No 3rd party, no haxies, my system was acting fine before the update, also no new apps as well. Well, somehow my system us becoming more stable as I use it, fortunately, it will get better as time passes ( after resetting lots of stuff, deleting cache, etc...) Thx for ur help