Did the save data from your apps transfer to 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dread, Jun 22, 2009.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

Hey guys I am on the phone with apple and they are telling me that app data will not transfer from my 2g iphone to my 3gs. I backed up the 2g and restored the 3gs from that back up. None of the apps transferred and when I sync the apps, my saved data is gone. Is this normal or is apple full of it.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

1) If the company who made the software and the hardware is telling you it won't work it probably won't.

2) No, it won't work.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. azhagan macrumors member

Actually, All the data in my games transferred over. I did not have to restart any from the beginning.

Edit: I went from 2G to 3G S

5. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

Ditto. I upgraded from a 2G to a 3GS over the weekend and all of my app data, savegames etc. transferred over.

First I docked my 2G and performed a backup in iTunes.

Then I undocked the 2G, docked the 3GS, and did "Restore from Backup" during setup. It took forever -- like almost four hours.

Lastly, I had to sync the 3GS to get the apps themselves to install.

At the end of all this, it was like a copy of my iPhone 2G (except my app icons weren't in the correct order). I started up iShoot and it took me to the middle of the game I was in, right where I left off. All of my documents and PDFs in Air Sharing were right where they were supposed to be. Other apps (like Twitter clients) remembered me, and so on and so forth.

I'm not sure why it didn't work for you, but it is definitely possible.

6. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I thought that I did a back-up restore that would have my app data but I just looked at a few apps that should have data and yes, they are gone! 12 months of tracking gas mileage down the drain. :eek: OK, I can actually live with that.

Actually, it's kind of disturbing that the app data is not backed up.

I had noticed that passwords were missing. I thought that was just for security. I guess it all went away.

I also went from a 2G, although that should not matter.

7. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

Bizarre. Every single one of my apps had its data (settings, usernames/passwords, files, etc.) intact after the transfer. Perhaps it is up to the design of each individual application as to whether its data gets included in iTunes backups?

8. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

still on the phone some apps are not supposed to backup but others are. I am restoring the phone

9. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

I restored from my 3.0 Touch 1G, and all my save data was there. Games, apps, everything.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Everything fine here. Restored the new 3gs from the 2g backup. The only thing that was broken was an outgoing mail server port. I had manually adjusted it on the old iphone, but the restore must have taken a fresh config from my mac. I was worried that I'd have to reconfig and resync apps like 1Password, but all the data was there.

11. sesnir macrumors 6502

I went from 3G to 3GS and all my data remained.

I did a restore on the new phone, then re-installed all of my apps.

12. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I went from 3G to 3G S and had this problem.

Read my account here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=726953

Essentially, I had to do a restore from backup more than once before the data made it over. I think the synching, to get apps installed, then doing another restore from backup was the key.

13. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Yup.

I had to do this as well.

I did a restore, and some apps were there but the data wasn't there.

Then I did a sync, and then another restore.

Most of my data came back but still some, like high scores in Flight Control, is missing.

14. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

good to know that is what I am doing now. Its taking forever

15. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I did a restore from back up also, and then did a sync and all my app saved data transferred over. My weight tracking program has all it's data, my cd tracking app had all it's data, etc..

16. mdzwolf macrumors member

On Friday I upgraded from a iPhone 2G to the iPhone 3G S and I did get all my apps to transfer but I had to deal with one issue first.

On my first attempt to restore from backup I loaded data onto my new iPhone from several months ago. I ended up actually deleting all of my previous iPhone backups, then plugging in my 2G iPhone, make a new backup, unplug the 2G and plugged in the 3G S and did a restore from backup.

After completing the steps above all apps, data and home screen order was restored to my new 3G S iPhone.

17. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley