Did the site used to have a downvote button?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by johnnnw, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Sometimes you see "-" posts but they're always 3 years old or so.

Did the site used to have this?

Why take it away :D

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yes, it did. There were many requests for it's removal, suggesting that if someone did not like a post, or disagreed with it, they make the effort to make a constructive comment.

3. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I miss it as well.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't even understand why people bother with the voting at all. It's not like it does anything.

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I miss it also and I hope they consider brining it back. I also agree that if you don't have the down vote button, you should also remove the up vote button.

7. ratsg macrumors 6502

IMHO, the voting system allows a thread to stay smaller, lighter and cleaner.

Instead of a thread full of +1 or "yes, I agree" or similar post, people who agree with a popular post can just click the +1 button to add their input with out cluttering up the thread.

And a similar comment would go along with the "-1" button. If you disagree with someone's comments, but aren't so enraged with it that you need to write a paragraph about why that person's opinion is completely wrong and why they are an idiot, the "-1" button provided some politically correct grey area.

I fully realize that the purpose of this, or any forum is to get people to post an opinion or share something, but the reality of many topics is that a lot of forum members don't really have an earth shattering comment worth posting.

IMHO, the voting system, both positive and negative, is a wonderful way of keeping threads free of "me too" posts, or at least limiting them.

Its a shame that a few vocal members got the negative votes removed. On several other forum's I frequent, the positive/negative voting system works great, and at least in my mind, provides a "stop and think before I post this controversial item" means for people who might just otherwise post stuff to stir people up.

Just my opinion.

8. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I've always thought and wondered this. Is there really any purpose at all?

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Posts of the type suggested above (highlighted) are a MR Rule violation (see below).

As mentioned, the intent (successful or not, that's a personal judgement) was to encourage constructive, if critical, posts in response to a post with which one might disagree...not simply a down vote.

From Forum Rules:

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

It shows that you agree with or like something that someone wrote or posted without actually having to go through the effort of making a comment. Kind of like what Facebook does with the “likes.” If you don't have something constructive to add to the converstion but agree with what was posted, this is a way to show your agreement.

11. SandPebble, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

SandPebble macrumors regular

I too would like to see the down vote button back. As per the rules, if I just posted "Stupid post", I would be in violation of said rules.

The up or down vote button lets me quickly say I agree or disagree.

As someone already stated, just my opinion.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.