Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
It was definitely contrived as she had a helmet cam on, "randomly" bumped into Rupert Murdoch, etc. Her written review was more positive in that it was "I like it, but won't recommend it since the next version will be better."

I was surprised they didn't send it to more non-tech reviewers. That said, if a writer in Vogue says it's ugly and she won't wear it no matter what it does, that's probably worse than anything that some "geek" writing for the Verge can say about it. On the other hand, the review in Self was pretty positive about it.

I believe someone here (might have been you) said the Today show loved it. Perhaps Apple needed to go that route more.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I guess I thought this review was unprofessional, for lack of a better word. I'm not sure if that even matters for this sort of thing but that was my take from it. To me she lost all credibility when she smeared tooth paste on the screen as though that has any importance for the device itself.

It wasn't really a "review" but a YouTube companion piece. Her actual review was in written form, and focused on how she thought it made her look good, but that she was recommending others to hold out for the next version.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
You're right on point.
I was truly surprised at how some women that really use and love their iPhones say the watch takes the space on their wrist where they normally wear a variety of bracelets. They don't want to sacrifice that pleasure for what they perceive as a gadget.

Perhaps they'll change their minds if the watch proves useful.

Actually in retrospect I'm also waiting to see if the watch proves useful enough to warrant the time it will consume initially.
Lol...you should show these women the clip from The Verge article in which the fashion writers were discussing the Apple Watch. One woman appeared to be wearing several gold watches AND bracelets on one arm! :eek: and Pharrell had plastic bracelets and some other unidentifiable feathered thing surrounding his Apple Watch. If these people are supposed to be influential in the fashion world that might explain a lot of strangely put together people I see at the mall.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I believe someone here (might have been you) said the Today show loved it. Perhaps Apple needed to go that route more.

I didn't see the Today Show.

Anyway, to put this into perspective, the Galaxy Gear got a 4, and the Gear 2 a 6.7. They haven't reviewed the Gear S yet (or didn't bother to). This is Apple's first attempt. A 7 from a very skeptical reviewer isn't bad.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
It wasn't really a "review" but a YouTube companion piece. Her actual review was in written form, and focused on how she thought it made her look good, but that she was recommending others to hold out for the next version.

This. I thought her review was very well written and did a good job, imo. The realness of her piece (and Verge) made me even more excited about the possibilities now that we have a good frame of reference outside of Apple PR.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As someone who is excited to get the watch, I loved her video. It was very practical. Way more realistic than some other review videos I watched, and it showed some really good features that I liked. What I liked most though is how it let me envision what my own day may look like using it, and I have to honestly say I would love to have the watch. I do a lot of things that are fast paced with my hands on a the regular basis (get your mind out the gutter, thank you) and I think having the watch would make a lot of things easier, & more convenient. It's definitely not life changing, far from it even. But it doesn't have to be. It's just another option, but a good one.
From what Ive seen of your posts you've got realistic expectations and a creative imagination for this product concept, so I think you'd like the Apple Watch and have a lot of fun with it. I can see others being locked into rigid expectations and having trouble adjusting. My husband might. I don't know.

I do think though that due to the heavy look of the stainless model and the lag they're reporting on, I might want to backpedal and be a $349 early adopter than a $549 early adopter, but I'm still mulling that over. The Blue Banded Sport is calling my name more and more but we will see. I have plenty of time to decide. I'd like to preorder but if middle aged mom wisdom tells me to wait and try them on first, that's what I'll do. Unless my inner child throws a really compelling tantrum. ;)

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
I really liked Nilay's review and didn't once get the impression he wasn't being open-minded. The video showed me things I haven't seen yet, such as the jerkiness, and instantly turned me off the leather loop I was planning on getting.

I liked his review as well. It was pretty realistic, and critical, which is needed in a review.

But it wasn't as informative as it could have been. In fact, he mentioned something that he had a big problem with, but failed to give info on how to completely alleviate that problem with something that is already implemented in the watch. Either he didn't know, which is not an excuse at all, or he purposely left it out, which is unfair to the viewers.

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
From what Ive seen of your posts you've got realistic expectations and a creative imagination for this product concept, so I think you'd like the Apple Watch and have a lot of fun with it. I can see others being locked into rigid expectations and having trouble adjusting. My husband might. I don't know.

I do think though that due to the heavy look of the stainless model and the lag they're reporting on, I might want to backpedal and be a $349 early adopter than a $549 early adopter, but I'm still mulling that over. The Blue Banded Sport is calling my name more and more but we will see. I have plenty of time to decide. I'd like to preorder but if middle aged mom wisdom tells me to wait and try them on first, that's what I'll do. Unless my inner child throws a really compelling tantrum. ;)

Thanks Grumpy! and yeah I agree. I was always going for the sport model, blue band too lol. Its firs gen. No matter how good I may think it'll be, its still first gen, so there's a lot to be feared. I'll get the regular Apple Watch SS in Gen 2 lol.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You basically wanted apple to choose reviewers who would have written what you wanted to read . Apple did the right thing. You need to accept that this is a gen 1 product and not perfect.

----------

Honesty I think this guy named Matthew Purcell who goes by The Doctor11 on the interwebs is the perfect person to receive a review unit.

:D

And to keep afterwards ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.