Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I recently upgraded from a 2012 MBA to a 2018 MBP TB with the gen 3 butterfly keyboard. Is it me or is the backlight on this really dim? Like, almost pointlessly dim? I have it turned up all the way and at max brightness it is the equivalent of ~3 clicks on my old MBA. I tried it with the automatic adjustment on and off and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It really doesn't matter how bright it is. Making the lights too bright hurts battery life. Maybe if they made the keys dimmer, it's better. Can you see the keys?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
It really doesn't matter how bright it is. Making the lights too bright hurts battery life. Maybe if they made the keys dimmer, it's better. Can you see the keys?

not everyone uses the keyboard backlighting on one dot, as you clearly are indicating you do.

answer the question that is asked.

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
I recently upgraded from a 2012 MBA to a 2018 MBP TB with the gen 3 butterfly keyboard. Is it me or is the backlight on this really dim? Like, almost pointlessly dim? I have it turned up all the way and at max brightness it is the equivalent of ~3 clicks on my old MBA. I tried it with the automatic adjustment on and off and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I think it's because the previous gen keyboard before butterfly had a lot more room for light bleed.

Reactions: HenryDJP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.