Did they repair or replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by retinafan, Oct 8, 2013.

1. retinafan macrumors newbie

I brought my Retina macbook pro in for repair covered under warrantee.

I had an issue with the trackpad and the display.

I had a samsung display, now I have an LG display. I can't prove it but I don't think I received the same shell back. Finally the battery cycle is at 1 again.

Did they just swap my machine completely out instead of repairing it? I know they said they were going to send it in instead of repairing it in the back of the store because they didn't have any displays in stock.

Do they swap out machines and not tell customers?

2. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Take a look at the serial number? Was it returned in a box? What shows up in 'about this mac'?

3. monokitty macrumors regular

Displays are replaced, not repaired. The trackpad assembly on the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro is an integrated part of the top case assembly, meaning the upper shell was replaced. The top case, battery, keyboard and trackpad are one single piece.

4. retinafan thread starter macrumors newbie

So then between the display and the integrated top case assembly it's almost like 80% of the machine was replaced? Seems silly for them to go through all that effort vs swapping the entire machine but whatever, I'm happy.

5. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Aren't you supposed to get a sheet back that explains all repairs done? Both times my wife's MBA went in for Applecare, we got the sheet back detailing the replaced parts list.

6. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I suppose you could put in a request for the repair details at the Apple Store you took it to. As far as I know, they are obliged to give you that information.

Regards
    Raptor

7. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

They most likely put your motherboard and disk drive in a new shell. It's easier than replacing individual components.

8. kpdillon macrumors member

I'll bet if there had been any cosmetic defect like a scratch or a dent they would have gone through the bother of replacing individual parts. Maybe not.

9. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

You might be right. I know that battery replacements entail a new top case and keyboard.

10. durkkin macrumors regular

This. Seems like a waste of time, but Apple does repairs by replacing the least amount of parts. The entire top case was replaced, your logic board/ssd/ram was transferred, and your bottom case put back on. The internals of your computer are the same, the outside is new.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Tell me about it. I've had a MacBook Air fixed where they replace the SSD, motherboard, battery, top case, keyboard and trackpad, and display assembly.

I'm pretty sure that's the whole computer. Even the tech wondered why they didn't just replace the machine, but Apple says repair first. :confused:

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Wanna talk about crazy repairs:
    2 x bottom case repairs
    1 x top case repairs
    I have a new machine with "old" (2011) guts.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A week before my AppleCare was about to run out, my Mac Pro also broke where they replaced everything in it (they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, so they replaced one thing at a time). The only thing they didn't need to replace was the case, so I paid $100 for Apple to replace that as well. Now it's basically a out-of-warranty "new" computer. :p

14. retinafan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys - I am loving my replaced top case and new SJA2 LG screen from Apple. Even the guts transferred I am loving the fact that I have a new battery, new screen and keyboard. It's like trading in my old machine for a new one (even though its all the same). I'll probably go back to putting a case on it to take care of it.

15. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

100 for a new case is affordable. Keep in mind that the top case is $800 with labour in Canada and the bottom case is $200 (done 2 times) So thats $1000 just for the casing.

16. durkkin macrumors regular

You still have your fan! And I/O board, but yeah...that doesn't make sense.

17. yangchewren macrumors regular

Think he meant Mac Pro and not a portable.

It was a damn worth deal nonetheless... for all that delicious new virgin anodized aluminum that you can sully and abuse.

18. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I know I was agreeing with you guys for $100 for a new casing with no scratches or anything sure! But for $1000 no thanks. I am figuring if I have one more hardware failure at the same scale as the other three I may be getting a haswell macbook air.