Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
If you read back, you'll see that I also mentioned McTube. McTube acts as if it is a music player and music players can continue to play music in the background. McTube isn't playing a video with sound, no they are taking the sound of a video and play that sound.

That's not entirely true. Apple specifically says that both audio and video can be played in the background. iOS has no problems with video in the background - in fact, if you're using AirPlay that video will continue playing on your TV even after backgrounding the app (assuming the app makes use of background capabilities.) You might be thinking of videos played from websites via Safari. As far as I can tell, Safari makes no attempt to continue audio/video playback when backgrounded.

Google, if they wanted, could make a simple change to the iOS YouTube app which would allow it to continue playing even when backgrounded.

http://developer.apple.com/library/...cationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html

Playing Background Audio

An app that plays audio continuously (even while the app is running in the background) can register as a background audio app by including the UIBackgroundModes key (with the value audio) in its Info.plist file. Apps that include this key must play audible content to the user while in the background.

Typical examples of background audio apps include:
•Music player apps
•Apps that support audio or video playback over AirPlay
•VoIP apps

When the UIBackgroundModes key contains the audio value, the system’s media frameworks automatically prevent the corresponding app from being suspended when it moves to the background. As long as it is playing audio or video content, the app continues to run in the background. However, if the app stops playing the audio or video, the system suspends it.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Guys you can still do it using safari, for some reason it doesnt work when you exit but play the video and lock device, on the lockscreen double tap home and press play it will work.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Since I jailbreak my iDevices I was able to grab the old youtube app from iOS 6 beta 3 which still works fine and allows background audio:)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Guys you can still do it using safari, for some reason it doesnt work when you exit but play the video and lock device, on the lockscreen double tap home and press play it will work.
This way Safari is still open and not in the background.

MAvery

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
I'm rather certain its only youtube, seeing how I can still play background music with pandora and soundcloud and spotify.

It's funny seeing people cry over not being able to listen to a video in the background, lol.

Those are just audio, not video.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
What the heck is the difference??

Let's simplify it.

A video = a car with four wheels
Music = a bicycle with two wheels

Previously, you could hear the car driving in the background.

You can't do that anymore. From now on, you can only hear bicycles.

So, what does McTube do? They take the car with four wheels, take two wheels and make a bicycle out of it. So now it's a bicycle.

Why is this important? Because now, developers have to specifically build support for playing videos in the background. Previously, it just worked.

------------------------------
Let me ask you one thing: what do you use your iPhone most for?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Why is this important? Because now, developers have to specifically build support for playing videos in the background. Previously, it just worked.

I still don't see why it's important. You're saying it's not possible. But really, it's possible, it's just developers have to do a little more work. Ok, sucks for them, but that's not the same thing as not being possible.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010

No this is essentially the same thing.

The problem is we can't multitask anymore while music is playing in the background.

This doesn't fix the issue.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Hmm.
http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#qa/qa1668/_index.html

Video Playback in the Background

Applications that play video cannot continue playing that video while in the background.

Note: If you disable the video tracks in the movie, or detach the AVPlayerLayer from its associated AVPlayer it will allow the movie audio to continue playing in the background. However, these changes must be in effect before the application is actually switched to the background.

Applications that play audio-only movies can continue playing while in the background using the techniques discussed in this document.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
For those with iOS 6 this isn't a problem. This is why I don't like to update.

They make your phone SLOWER and ish like this happens.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
AirVideo app works fine with background audio and they haven't updated it as far as i know.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
ha ha ha I think it's so funny how other people think it's so funny that other people can't live without playing music in the background and how that other person's deal is completely killed because of it.

Ha ha ha ha

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I've been using an app called Music Tube. Works pretty good

AirVideo app works fine with background audio and they haven't updated it as far as i know.

Like I said these are not the same thing.

Common scenario:

You're on a message board and someone embeds a YouTube video of a song you like and want to liststen to for a few days.

Now you have to push edit.

Copy the link.

Search for it in Google.

Copy the name.

Close browser.

Open Mctube or similar.

Paste the title and search.

Finally have background play.

Before you could just tap play and the home button. This changes everything. I guess the piracy people and music industry people complained or something?

I'd like to know what made them want to do this.

Is it to encourage people to use iTunes? Would Steve Jobs have backed down in negotiations and let this happen?

Last edited:

lancia832

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Re you tube app

Since I jailbreak my iDevices I was able to grab the old youtube app from iOS 6 beta 3 which still works fine and allows background audio:)

Hello! can you please elaborate the method you used for us the jailbroken guys , it would really be appreciated by all of us , do you need to install the ios 6 beta firmware , or there is a way to just pull the app from the firmware and install it somehow , please let us know , since i think that old app was miles ahead even of the new you tube app ,i hate the new one but that is just me .

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Hello! can you please elaborate the method you used for us the jailbroken guys , it would really be appreciated by all of us , do you need to install the ios 6 beta firmware , or there is a way to just pull the app from the firmware and install it somehow , please let us know , since i think that old app was miles ahead even of the new you tube app ,i hate the new one but that is just me .

You need to add repo.insanelyi.com and then find "Youtube for iOS 6.1" works great and offers background audio.

**I am no way affiliated or promote the repo service(s) they service offer in anyway**

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
use grooveshark if you wanna listen to music on your phone for free.

search and you will find pretty much anything in good quality.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
use grooveshark if you wanna listen to music on your phone for free.

search and you will find pretty much anything in good quality.

Id rather just use Safari like I have been.

They doth giveth and then taketh away.

They thought maybe we wouldnt notice? Nice try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.