Did this kill my laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jafuah, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Jafuah macrumors newbie

Well, it's a funny story actually. I was at a friends house setting up his home theater. I had my laptop out and plugged into the wall. So as I'm working his bird climbs down his cage, walks over to my power cord, and takes off the insulation of the wire and the wires in the cord, exposing the copper wire. When that happened i took care to wrap the two exposed wires with electrical tape wrapped it fully a few time. I get home later that night and set my laptop on the counter, when i opened it up it was running on reserve battery power which was odd. Without thinking i plugged in the stripped power cord and into the laptop. My roommate grabbed the part with electrical tape and it made a popping noise, like a spark jumped the wires. Ever since then I've lost the ability to connect to 5Ghz networks, running wifi is extremely slow (it's the computer, not the network), fans in the computer stay on and wont turn off without a battery pull. Now if the cut in the wires caused this my friend has offered to replace the laptop, but a macbook pro is a lot to ask with out double checking. Can anyone give me the peace of mind I'm looking for?

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I would really recommend going to the Apple Store and having them check it out. They'll give you the info you need.

3. Jafuah thread starter macrumors newbie

The nearest apple store is close to 3 hours away, so if a trip is necessary then I can take time this weekend to go. But if I can get an answer here it would save me a trip.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

If the computer is under warranty, there is a chance Apple might even cover it... That's why i'd recommend going to the store.

You can also try a PRAM reset. That won't hurt.
    Hold Command+Option+P+R at startup until you hear the Apple Chime at least twice.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sounds like the electricity might have shorted something out..