Well, it's a funny story actually. I was at a friends house setting up his home theater. I had my laptop out and plugged into the wall. So as I'm working his bird climbs down his cage, walks over to my power cord, and takes off the insulation of the wire and the wires in the cord, exposing the copper wire. When that happened i took care to wrap the two exposed wires with electrical tape wrapped it fully a few time. I get home later that night and set my laptop on the counter, when i opened it up it was running on reserve battery power which was odd. Without thinking i plugged in the stripped power cord and into the laptop. My roommate grabbed the part with electrical tape and it made a popping noise, like a spark jumped the wires. Ever since then I've lost the ability to connect to 5Ghz networks, running wifi is extremely slow (it's the computer, not the network), fans in the computer stay on and wont turn off without a battery pull. Now if the cut in the wires caused this my friend has offered to replace the laptop, but a macbook pro is a lot to ask with out double checking. Can anyone give me the peace of mind I'm looking for?