Did Time Machine just take over my whole TB?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KalashniKEV, Jul 6, 2010.

1. KalashniKEV macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have basically just over 1 TB of songs and movies and 2 drives called TB1 and TB2. I decided to max out TB1 and keep NTFS and put TB2 on FAT32 so I could use time machine.

I shuffled the data using a PC and reformatted TB2 in FAT32 (keeping the name) then turned on Time Machine. Now TB2 appears to be called "Time Machine Backups."

Do I just rename the drive and use as normal?

Thanks!

Kevin

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can rename it to whatever you want, but Time Machine won't backup TO a FAT32 formatted volume. HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) is needed as a file system for that purpose.

It might be, that Mac OS X already did that for you when it first recognised a new HDD and asked you to use it for Time Machine. If you clicked YES/OKAY or whatever confirming button there is, Mac OS X formatted the drive most likely to HFS+ already, thus all the data, that might have been on there, is kind of lost.

3. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

your timemachine will utilise all the room it is allowed, I have mine sperated on the one drive, 500gig for the iMac, 500gig for the Macbook Pro and I also have a 320gig for the Macbook (mych smaller HDD in the macbook and not really that important to back up)
    The more room you give it the further back in time you can go, once it runs out it will start backing up over the oldest updates.

4. KalashniKEV thread starter macrumors member

It's cool, I left out that the data over 1 gig I put on a smaller external HD.

It turns out that after I formatted for FAT32 and turned on time Machine it did reformat to OX Extended... whatever format that is!

I guess I'm cool with it.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's called Mac OS Extended in Disk Utility and Finder's Get Info window and is another name for HFS+.

If you're interested to learn more: http://guides.macrumors.com/File_systems