Did water seep into my display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigpoppamac31, Mar 26, 2017.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Hey so I was just cleaning my Macbook Pro (2014 retina) using my Radtech keyboard cover (https://www.radtech.com/products/screensavrz-macbook-pro-keyboard-cover). I dampened the cover and used it to clean my MBP. Now there seems to be two marks on my screen on the edges which formed while wiping it. I tried to wipe them to remove them but it made it worse. The Mac works fine as I'm using it right now. I'm just wondering if I got water inside through the seam in the glass and if it's possible to fix it. Also there's still some streaks on my screen. Overall what is the best way to clean a MBP?

IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0917.JPG

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Are you sure it isn't the screen coating? Could be moisture inside the screen, I suppose, but you'd have to have that cloth pretty wet to accomplish that.

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well how do I know for sure? Should I just take it too an Apple Store and have them look at it? I've cleaned my MBP before but I had something called iClear disposable wipes.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

If you're near an Apple Store, that's probably the best thing. Read up on "staingate" before you go if you're not familiar with the term. Apple has been replacing screens with that issue, I think.

If you're not close to the store, it's partly a matter of trying to tell if the marks are on top or under a layer of glass. You might also be able to tell from the shape. Your first photo looks more like staingate to me.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay. My brother actually works at an Apple Store so I can just take it down and see what they say. Worse case scenario they would just replace the screen or glass layer right? I no longer have Apple Care it seems when I looked up the serial number.

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Yeah, the repair would be a screen replacement. If it's moisture under the screen, then you pay (probably). If it's the outer coating, they may do it for free, even without AppleCare.

7. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm but if it's moisture under the screen wouldn't that be a defect in the seal of the screen? How much would a screen cost?

8. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I doubt they see moisture under the screen as something that can result from proper cleaning, i.e. with a damp cloth, but they'll let you know about that. I could be wrong. It's not an issue I've seen. Don't know about the cost.

9. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm okay. I'll check it out. Thanks for the help.