Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Florida :/
I see countless posts from people saying that Apple only releases features when we really need it. That being said, do we really need a 64bit OS and that MIMO thing now?

I'm just a little pissed off that they skimped on the ram and the storage and gave us things I really think could have waited a generation or two.

Am I totally off base? What do you guys think?

I'm seriously considering returning my iPad tomorrow due to the crashing.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
64-bit isn't particularly meant for iOS 7. Imaginably, it's laying the groundwork for iOS 8.

MIMO is, of course, very welcome. Could have used it the past few iterations as well.

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I'd have to say that MIMO might be the biggest difference on the iPad Air compared to the 4..... My wireless performance in my house is second to none on the Air, my 5s, MacBook Air, and iMac all have inferior wireless performance compared to my iPad Air, in both distance and speed. As for x64 bit, it is defiantly more of a groundwork/future proofing, but you cannot argue with the speed of the 5s/Air/retina mini.

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Florida :/
I'd have to say that MIMO might be the biggest difference on the iPad Air compared to the 4..... My wireless performance in my house is second to none on the Air, my 5s, MacBook Air, and iMac all have inferior wireless performance compared to my iPad Air, in both distance and speed. As for x64 bit, it is defiantly more of a groundwork/future proofing, but you cannot argue with the speed of the 5s/Air/retina mini.

I just really don't understand 64 bit as future proofing if they only used 1gb of ram. It's like an oxymoron.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Dual antenna MIMO double the WiFi throughput compare to single antenna. That means fast access. 64bit iOS, I don't think anyone would benefit from it as much for the time being, but in the long run it will bring advantages.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I picked up a first gen mini a few weeks for a okay price. ($402CAD including very nice Italian case) My friend told me that when the mini three comes out she will give me at minimum 200 for my mini. She also doesn't care about condition or the case. Hopefully I can reuse the case for the third mini that's gold and touch ID

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
Dual antenna MIMO double the WiFi throughput compare to single antenna. That means fast access. 64bit iOS, I don't think anyone would benefit from it as much for the time being, but in the long run it will bring advantages.

what long run, most ppl will upgrade to the new gen anyway. ur logic is stupid

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Personally won't be upgrading to IOS 8 on my Air. Apple will decrease my great battery life and make other issues occur to make the ipad Air 2 seem even better.

Learned from mistake. Everybody quiet about IOS 7 draining IP5 quicker than it use too. The drainage on the iPAd 3 was ridiculous after upgrading to ios7.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
Personally won't be upgrading to IOS 8 on my Air. Apple will decrease my great artery life and make other issues occur to make the ipad Air 2 seem even better.

Learned from mistake. Everybody quiet about IOS 7 draining IP5 quicker than it use too. The drainage on the iPAd 3 was ridiculous after upgrading to ios7.

exactly

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
what long run, most ppl will upgrade to the new gen anyway. ur logic is stupid

it is just like when Apple moved from 30 pins connector to lighting connector. You need to evolve. Otherwise, for just 1GB of RAM, 16bit OS will do just fine. Long run in sense of iOS, probably needs to align with OSX. What do I know? I am stupid.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I see countless posts from people saying that Apple only releases features when we really need it. That being said, do we really need a 64bit OS and that MIMO thing now?

I'm just a little pissed off that they skimped on the ram and the storage and gave us things I really think could have waited a generation or two.

Am I totally off base? What do you guys think?

I'm seriously considering returning my iPad tomorrow due to the crashing.

You won't be so pissed off in a couple of years when iOS requires a 64bit proc. and your Air or 1st gen rMini still is supported hardware because it has one. Yes, Apple probably needed to put a 64bit proc in to progress, but we don't know Apple's road map so hard to say. The crashing issue (mostly Safari for me) is an iOS 7 issue and has zero to do with the A7 chip. Safari on my old mini crashes the same on the A5. It's a code issue.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I just really don't understand 64 bit as future proofing if they only used 1gb of ram. It's like an oxymoron.

It's still very possible to take advantage of 64-bit processing with 1GB of RAM.

And it's absolutely future-proofing. It gets developers and users accustomed to the 64-bit hardware, meaning apps built for the architecture can proliferate sooner rather than later.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You won't be so pissed off in a couple of years when iOS requires a 64bit proc. and your Air or 1st gen rMini still is supported hardware because it has one.
Yeah. By that time, you'll just be pissed off your Air or rMini runs iOS 9 or iOS X really slowly. :rolleyes:

For consumers, 64-bit means nothing right now. I reckon this is more future planning on Apple's part to make the transition to full 64-bit go more smoothly.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah. By that time, you'll just be pissed off your Air or rMini runs iOS 9 or iOS X really slowly. :rolleyes:

For consumers, 64-bit means nothing right now. I reckon this is more future planning on Apple's part to make the transition to full 64-bit go more smoothly.

yea that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.