Did you buy AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dhelsdon, Sep 29, 2010.

?

Did you buy AppleCare on your iPhone 4

1. Yes

26.9%
  2. No

54.5%
  3. I want to get it

18.7%
  1. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Title says it all, just curious to see how many people bought it. I've been thinking about adding it on just to be safe.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I have never bought Apple Care for any of my iDevices because I pretty much upgrade every year, so it seems useless to me. But I did buy Apple Care for my MacBook Pro because I'm hoping that will last me a wile, so I want to be covered just in case.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

For my MBP...yes. No dice for my iPhone. Not worth it, IMO.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since I don't upgrade my iPhone every time a new one comes out, I bought Apple Care for mine. I plan on keeping my iPhone until the summer of 2012 and then upgrading.

5. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I haven't bought AppleCare at all, and don't plan to.

6. bcp23 macrumors member

I plan on keeping my phone for 2 years. I'll buy it towards the end of my warranty if my plans don't change. It'll be worth it to get a repacement when the battery fails. Hopefully I don't shatter the screen, drop it in the toilet, or jump in a pool with it in my pocket in the meantime.

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i've never bought apple care or any extended warranty. if you buy a quality product it should last for a reasonable amount of time. in the end, i've had a problem or too, but i'm still way ahead of the game.

8. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I've bought AppleCare for my 3GS as the warranty lasts one year and my contract last two years. I can't afford to buy a Pay and Go iPhone to replace my contract one if it all goes tits up in the second year.

Its already been worth the money as the touchscreen on my iPhone became unresponsive after 15 months and Apple replaced it straight away. Well worth the £60.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nope. My Visa card doubled the warranty to 2 years.

10. lush242000 macrumors member

lush242000

I didn't buy applecare, but I did buy the squaretrade insurance on the monthly plan. I figured what the heck.

11. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

I've never purchased Apple Care or any other Extended Warranty for electronic/electrical goods. Figure the amount I save by not buying warranty top ups over the years will be more than what I may have to outlay to get an item repaired if I am unlucky.

12. eq2675 macrumors regular

I buy my iPhones in September. So far for the last 3 years I have purchased the latest model.

If for some reason I do not like the latest release I will purchase Apple Care to protect my current model for another year before the 1 year warranty expires.

13. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

What visa card please? I know a few do it, be interested as I may buy an iP4, direct from Apple and so if I have a card that does this would buy it with this.

Does it cover everything? accidental, dropping, screen smashed etc? what is the excess?

cheers

14. doboy macrumors 68000

I didn't buy it yet, but planning to. I purchased AppleCare for my old 3GS few days before end of warranty from eBay for ~$35. I'll probably do the same with iPhone 4.

15. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I did. I didn't for my 3G and a few months after my 1 yr mark hit it died. AT&T wouldn't help and Apple wouldn't look at it without Applecare. It was the most horrible feeling knowing it was before my contract was up so I couldn't upgrade to a 3GS cheaply AND I knew the IP4 would be out in a few months so I didn't even WANT to upgrade. I really thought I was gonna be stuck with a hideous dumb phone for like 4 months. Thanks to the forums and some googling, I was able to fix it myself - but having the peace of mind that if something like that ever happened again and I wouldn't be lost is well worth the $60 IMO. Plus, I don't plan on upgrading until 2012 unless the next phone is something so unbelievable I won't be able to pass it up.

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You bring up a good point. Back in July my iPad had failed on me (screen) and Apple refused to fix it, said I caused the damaged and wanted me to pay $299 to repair it. I had purchased my iPad on my MasterCard, so I filed a claim.

MC offers an Extended Warranty plan for 1 year after the manufacture warranty has expired, but since Apple refused to fix my iPad within the first year, my Extended Warranty kicked in soon, so within 3 weeks I had a check for the amount of $299 to repair the iPad.

Even if I would have have spent money on Apple Care, it wouldn't have done me any good when I needed it. I was lucky because I buy all of my gadgets with my debit card, the iPad was the only one that I used a credit card on (I wanted the points) and it ended up saving me $300.

17. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

That's my strategy, too. Plus, by waiting a couple of months after the release, I will know if there are any major issues with the new device.

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

No, my AMEX gives me a 2nd year of coverage, besides, I probably won't have it more than 1 year.

19. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I purchased my iPhone 4 on my Visa also, so how much warranty would I have through them. I forgot about purchase protection, could someone enlighten me?

20. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I bought Applecare last year with my 3GS and I usually wait till a month or so before the original 1 year warranty expires to activate it. I ended up selling it before the warranty expired so the box is still sealed. Im going to wait to see if I keep this iphone 4 longer than a year to activate Applecare on it or not:)

22. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I didn't buy Extended Warranty for my $40k+ Coupe, so why would I buy AppleCare or any Warranty for my Toys.

It wouldn't have helped anyways, my brother & sister's iMac both went down (HDD & LogicBoard) after just three years!!!

23. ichiban06 macrumors regular

I brought AppleCare because I had some gift vouchers but I'm planning to activate it a couple of days before the warranty expires and depending if I want the new Iphone next year.

24. Hraggleblarg macrumors member

I didn't, but only because I'm broke, lol. Oh well...

25. chutney macrumors newbie

I put my phone on home policy. $30 per year. Not extended warranty, but if I drop my phone when I'm out on my boat--it's nice to be covered. :)