Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you buy your iPhone outright, or pay monthly?

• Monthly (Through Carrier)

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Monthly (Apple Upgrade Program)

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Bought Out Right

Votes: 124 55.4%
  • Other (Please State)

Votes: 9 4.0%

• Total voters

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I'm curious how many of you decide to buy your iPhone outright versus paying for it monthly with an EIP from your carrier or the Apple Upgrade Program.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Monthly via carrier. Got a promo - $650 trade-in credit for iPhone 6 (spread out for 24 months) when you buy iPhone 7.

Same here.
I traded in my iPhone 6 and got my i7 free with 24 months of bill credits.
Off course I have to stay with them for 24 months since the day it came out in order to receive it for free.
But still a good deal and I don't really have to pay out of pocket.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Leasing it. Paying $13 a month for the device and get the benefit or just returning it and leasing another. Yeah I know I could probably make more selling it but it's easier to just return it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Why not? You're not paying interest and you don't shell out all of the money at once. Financially if you're not upgrading yearly it would be better to

I hate the idea of financing a phone.
Nowadays you see people financing everything. They finance tv's, washers, furniture, they finance wifi routers from their internet provider and many other things like that.

Last edited:

skinsone

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
I hate the whole idea of financing a phone.
Nowadays you see people financing everything. They finance tv's, washers, furniture, they finance wifi routers from their internet provider and many other things like that.
I'm like you, I don't finance anything. I charge most everything and pay the card in full every month. I like getting that cash rewards every year which ends up paying for Christmas gifts.

I own my unlocked iPhone outright after I purchased it. Leasing any phone still ties you to the carrier for a year or more. And if you want to switch carriers you still have to pay off any balance before you can switch.

Also I don't follow the trend of getting a new iPhone everytime a new version is released. My 6s which I got last Oct will last until the updates no longer kept it working smoothly.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I hate the whole idea of financing a phone.

Still. It's 0 interest and you don't shell out $750 outright in my case. Plus I'm done selling phones online...not worth the hassle and rather just give it back in for my case.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'm like you, I don't finance anything. I charge most everything and pay the card in full every month. I like getting that cash rewards every year which ends up paying for Christmas gifts.

I own my unlocked iPhone outright after I purchased it. Leasing any phone still ties you to the carrier for a year or more. And if you want to switch carriers you still have to pay off any balance before you can switch.

Also I don't follow the trend of getting a new iPhone everytime a new version is released. My 6s which I got last Oct will last until the updates no longer kept it working smoothly.

Same here.
I Pay off cards in full each month to avoid interest and I get point rewards to use on amazon.
I can't see myself making 2-3 year payments on a cellphone.
Even when I buy a car I pay it off within 1-2 years instead of making the minimum payments for 5 years.
[doublepost=1497666229][/doublepost]
Still. It's 0 interest and you don't shell out $750 outright in my case. Plus I'm done selling phones online...not worth the hassle and rather just give it back in for my case.

I just find it a pain and unnecessary to drag it that long.
And I rather sell it online myself than leave $100-200 on the table for someone else to profit off me.
It's not much of a hassle taking 2-3 pictures and posting a quick ad on swappa.
And then drop it off at the post office next day.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Why not? You're not paying interest and you don't shell out all of the money at once. Financially if you're not upgrading yearly it would be better to

I usually get $100-200 less than retail doing it that way. Plus, I’m now on prepaid so financing isn’t even an option anymore.

Reactions: Digger148

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Same here.
I Pay off cards in full each month to avoid interest and I get point rewards to use on amazon.
I can't see myself making 2-3 year payments on a cellphone.
Even when I buy a car I pay it off within 1-2 years instead of making the minimum payments for 5 years.
[doublepost=1497666229][/doublepost]

I just find it a pain and unnecessary to drag it that long.
And I rather sell it online myself than leave $100-200 on the table for someone else to profit off me.
It's not much of a hassle taking 2-3 pictures and posting a quick ad on swappa.
And then drop it off at the post office next day.

I Don't deal with swappa.... If I'm going to sell my phone it will be on Craigslist. I live in NYC so I can get it done quickly and not take any fees. That being said I rather not go through the hassle and the loss of $100 bucks is worth leasing the phone for me. I just don't care and you can always pay off the phone whenever you want to.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I Don't deal with swappa.... If I'm going to sell my phone it will be on Craigslist. I live in NYC so I can get it done quickly and not take any fees. That being said I rather not go through the hassle and the loss of $100 bucks is worth leasing the phone for me. I just don't care and you can always pay off the phone whenever you want to.

You should deal with Swappa. The $5 fee they charge is nothing.
I find Swappa quick and easy but whatever works for you.
Here CL is full of lowballers or people that waste your time and never show up with the money.
I dont have time for 100 emails and the back and forth of CL.
The loss of $100-200 is never worth it to me.
I dont like to hand out free money and make iphone resale companies rich.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
You should deal with Swappa. The $5 fee they charge is nothing.
I find Swappa quick and easy but whatever works for you.
Here CL is full of lowballers or people that waste your time and never show up with the money.
I dont have time for 100 emails and the back and forth of CL.
The loss of $100-200 is never worth it to me.
I dont like to hand out free money and make iphone resale companies rich.

Time is money and I rather have my time than that $100 IMHO. Swappa besides the fee I just don't want to deal with boxing it up. Trust me I've gone through yearly upgrades and I'm just tired of it.

Smartphones in order:
IPhone 3GS
IPhone 4
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Nexus 5
IPhone 6 plus
IPhone 7

Most of those were yearly except for the iPhone ones. I've sold the others on CL and ebay and just dine with it myself.

Reactions: Applejuiced

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Lease to EIP. Two years ago was a different situation for us. Before that we used carrier contracts.

Next year (after all the noise about the new iPhone has died down) if we are getting the iPhone we'll buy outright.

I'm not getting clear of EIP payments just to go back to more EIP payments.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Time is money and I rather have my time than that $100 IMHO. Swappa besides the fee I just don't want to deal with boxing it up. Trust me I've gone through yearly upgrades and I'm just tired of it.

Smartphones in order:
IPhone 3GS
IPhone 4
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Nexus 5
IPhone 6 plus
IPhone 7

Most of those were yearly except for the iPhone ones. I've sold the others on CL and ebay and just dine with it myself.

I understand, its your choice off course. You must be pretty rich.
Boxing it up takes less than a minute, definitely worth $100-160 to me to box it up myself :D

Last edited:

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I have always got them through the carrier because I have never been in the position to drop that much money on a phone outright.
I am probably in a position to do so now but I'm heading to Europe for a month just after the new one comes out so perhaps again I'm not really in a position to do it this year either.
I want to get it before the trip to have the upgraded camera. Going from a 6s to the plus model this time I think.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
My 7+ is financed because Best Buy had a $200 off sale when bought through ATT Next. I will probably pay it off once the balance gets below $500.

My wife's 6S+ was purchased outright.

My sister's 6S (on my plan) is purchased on ATT Next with the promo where it's free but spread through 24 months or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.