Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

I bought my X in Oct. 2017 and was looking at comparison reviews of 12Pro Max especially vs X. The 12PM is definitely faster at opening and keeping apps open in the switcher due to increased ram. But not $1400 better.

I just got the X battery replaced and it is running fine. I was waiting for USB-C to come on a new phone so I can download video/images from my camera faster using USB-C reader. Other than the larger screen and better color, did you decide not to upgrade?

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Nowadays I think smartphones aren't meant to be upgraded each year or 2. Its made to last for at least 4 to 5 years now just like computers. I have a XS Max and I have absolutely zero interest upgrading to new phones at all. For what I see, they perform almost the same as mine, along with practically the same screen as well.

I'll simply upgrade when my actual phone won't respond to my everyday needs anymore.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Nowadays I think smartphones aren't meant to be upgraded each year or 2. Its made to last for at least 4 to 5 years now just like computers. I have a XS Max and I have absolutely zero interest upgrading to new phones at all. For what I see, they perform almost the same as mine, along with practically the same screen as well.

I'll simply upgrade when my actual phone won't respond to my everyday needs anymore.

Agreed!

I upgraded because of OLED (previously rocking an iPhone XR), larger screen, as I have been using dark mode for the last two years and of course ridiculous battery life (I travel a lot for work, one of the reasons I chose the XR, besides the price)

My bonus features are much better camera system, eventual 5G and, lastly, 100% mor horsepower under the hood.

I like the snappiness of the new iPhones. I avoided as much as I could paying $1K for a smartphone. But now I see that they’re more like computers. I plan to use this iPhone max for at least 3 years before upgrading.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Agreed!

I upgraded because of OLED (previously rocking an iPhone XR), larger screen, as I have been using dark mode for the last two years and of course ridiculous battery life (I travel a lot for work, one of the reasons I chose the XR, besides the price)

My bonus features are much better camera system, eventual 5G and, lastly, 100% mor horsepower under the hood.

I like the snappiness of the new iPhones. I avoided as much as I could paying $1K for a smartphone. But now I see that they’re more like computers. I plan to use this iPhone max for at least 3 years before upgrading.
i definitely get a lot of use from these and coming from iphone 6s the x was just a little too small especially for reading. the screen on the x is great and it runs pretty fast for my needs. i definitely could use this for 1-2 years more.

have your hands adjusted to the weight of pro max ?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

This isn't true. iPhones are meant to be upgraded every year which is why Apple makes new models every year. Older phones do run better overall these days because they are powerful, but you can't escape from the fact you're far behind the technology of the new models and should upgrade ASAP.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
This isn't true. iPhones are meant to be upgraded every year which is why Apple makes new models every year. Older phones do run better overall these days because they are powerful, but you can't escape from the fact you're far behind the technology of the new models and should upgrade ASAP.
Lol

Itsjustme90

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2020

Except in the Android World. ?

Reactions: catean

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
Hi,

I bought my X in Oct. 2017 and was looking at comparison reviews of 12Pro Max especially vs X. The 12PM is definitely faster at opening and keeping apps open in the switcher due to increased ram. But not $1400 better.

I just got the X battery replaced and it is running fine. I was waiting for USB-C to come on a new phone so I can download video/images from my camera faster using USB-C reader. Other than the larger screen and better color, did you decide not to upgrade?
It is not just opening app speed...........

USB-C will never happen. Apple will go port-less before that happens.

Don’t know what camera you have, but i have a Nikon D750 and i use a SD card reader thingy from Apple Store and works great. Fast transfer.

Compared to your X, the 12PM is a far far superior camera...the difference is profound in pics and video. The display is far better too...brighter for HDR content, more color accurate, and better viewing angles. The processor is light years better for gaming and productivity apps.

Is it $1400 Better? I guess that comes down to your priorities. If you just use your phone to make phone calls, then no. But if you use your phone to take pictures and videos, then probably so.

Reactions: alecgold and tkmyzw

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Definitely not.

It is a fact that Apple launches a radically improved iPhone every year. For example, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is the best iPhone Apple has ever made. The only reason you shouldn’t upgrade is if you can’t afford it for some reason, but that doesn’t apply to most people.
Ok

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Definitely not.

It is a fact that Apple launches a radically improved iPhone every year. For example, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is the best iPhone Apple has ever made. The only reason you shouldn’t upgrade is if you can’t afford it for some reason, but that doesn’t apply to most people.
This is total non sense. Companies also release new computers, TVs etc every year, but people obviously not change their computers or TV every year. I know the only intention of your posts is to be provocative, but you can't be serious when you say a phone is made to last just a year when all the evidence shows the exact opposite.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
This is total non sense. Companies also release new computers, TVs etc every year, but people obviously not change their computers or TV every year. I know the only intention of your posts is to be provocative, but you can't be serious when you say a phone is made to last just a year when all the evidence shows the exact opposite.
Exactly ignore he’s just trolling.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Nowhere did I say that an iPhone is made to last one year. Older iPhones are still good phones for those who cannot afford to upgrade to the latest and greatest all the time.

Some people do change their computers every year, but the use case is different. People use their phones a lot more extensively to perform a wider variety of tasks.

Buying a new iPhone every year allows people do new things with the latest technologies, get more done, be more productive, take better photos, shoot more captivating videos. Buying a new computer every year would add very little value for most people.

kneezmo

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
I have an X 256 silver and still wait for an iphone without notch to make a change.. New iPhone doesnt impress me.

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
I wound up ordering a 12 Pro Max today. I'm coming from an XS Max. There wasn't anything wrong with it. The only reason I'm upgrading is because I usually pass along my phones to my parents. My dad is using the XR and my mom is still using a 6s Plus. Once my 12 Pro Max arrives, I'll give the XS Max to my dad, and my mom will get the XR.

Last edited:

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I have an X 256 silver and still wait for an iphone without notch to make a change.. New iPhone doesnt impress me.
I had an X and with a new battery the X lasts another few years with good daily use. And it does! Just not with me, but with my mother-in-law. She came from an iPhone 6 and the improvement for her is huge. Just like the 12PM is a big improvement for me coming from the X.
So as usually YMMV, but upgrading doesn’t need to mean the old phone becomes e-waste before its time!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

I am still holding on to my 8+, mainly for Touch ID. I am also not particularly impressed by this year’s iPhones (smaller battery, 5g being a huge power suck), and a little bit of analysis paralysis (12 pro has extra camera and ram, but 12 is lighter and nicer colour).

Will probably hold out till next year. Hopefully, masks will no longer be a concern then, 5g will be more widespread and efficient, and I am expecting the base model to get a third camera.

In the meantime, my 8+ is still going strong and it’s grown on me.

Reactions: jsh8w

jsh8w

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2020
United Kingdom

100% agree.

Back in the day, I used to upgrade pretty much every new iPhone. But these days, the jump in technology per iPhone is far less than it was previously that I don’t think it’s worth it.

I’ve got an iPhone 11 and will be holding onto it as long it keeps doing the job.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Nowhere did I say that an iPhone is made to last one year. Older iPhones are still good phones for those who cannot afford to upgrade to the latest and greatest all the time.

Some people do change their computers every year, but the use case is different. People use their phones a lot more extensively to perform a wider variety of tasks.

Buying a new iPhone every year allows people do new things with the latest technologies, get more done, be more productive, take better photos, shoot more captivating videos. Buying a new computer every year would add very little value for most people.
Wow you couldn’t be more wrong. If you aren’t upgrading your computer every year to the latest model,
please get your poor ass away from me.

• Haha
Reactions: Seanm87

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Wow you couldn’t be more wrong. If you aren’t upgrading your computer every year to the latest model,
please get your poor ass away from me.

I don't even use macOS anymore. It's ancient, the past. iPad Pro is the best solution for the vast majority of people, myself included. I buy the new iPad Pro models whenever they come out. :cool:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I don't even use macOS anymore. It's ancient, the past. iPad Pro is the best solution for the vast majority of people, myself included. I buy the new iPad Pro models whenever they come out. :cool:
Doesn’t matter if you use it or not. The only reason you shouldn’t upgrade is if you can’t afford it for some reason, but that doesn’t apply to most people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.