Did you enter real information when you switch on your mac at the first time?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by magician, May 7, 2007.

1. magician macrumors newbie

magician

Did you enter real information when you switch on your mac at the first time? (eg. name, address)
    Is it important that to enter new information?
    Would the mac process my information?
    Did you enter the information in front of the sales when you buy a mac? (Or did the sales request you to enter real information?)

:)

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

for AppleCare purposes, yes. Also, filling out the .mac info automatically fills out the registration part..

3. bartelby macrumors Core

As it's part of the registration process of the machine, then entering real information would be advisable.

4. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Resistance is futile. At some point we will all be assimilated into the Apple collective hive. Oh, the irony of Steve's 1984 commercial!

Honestly, though, their privacy policy is no different than those from most reputable companies. I'd highly recommend registering with real information, and you'll reap the benefits of their excellent customer care for the first year of your purchase. Without considerable research, you should consider Apple to be no more prone to an identity theft attack on its customer databases than you would your own bank accounts or credit card accounts.

5. Detlev_73 macrumors 6502

Detlev_73

How funny; last night I dreamed that I was being assimilated! :rolleyes:

6. magician thread starter macrumors newbie

magician

So...did you enter those information in front of the sales?
    Or what did sales said about the information?

7. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I would think so? Are you talking about all the necessary information they ask you when you make your purchase?

8. magician thread starter macrumors newbie

magician

Yes, would the sales ask you to enter real information or just input them with some meaningless information?

9. CallsignBaron macrumors member

Damn right I gave them the correct info. Spend $3000 on a piece of hardware I definitely want them to know who and where I am should I need some tech support. Besides, also set up my .mac account and my iTunes account. They already had most of my info anyway 'cause I purchased online. :apple:

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

What exactly is your concern, if I may ask? That some member of the sales staff might have a photographic memory? :rolleyes:

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow... registering a product under a fake name is a new one. In the words of Back to the Future, it's like a screen door on a battleship. :D

12. magician thread starter macrumors newbie

magician

nope. I am just thinking about is it necessary to spent some time to enter those information in the shop

13. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I order from Apple, so it's not like they don't have my name and address anyhow.

14. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

i did the 1st time i did an install on my g5, after that no

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Always put correct information in my computer profile. I don't want to look at some bogus name, nor do I want to replace all that info when and if I register software.

16. madog macrumors 65816

madog

During the registration process of a new computer or new system installation you can hit cmd-q to skip the entire process and go straight to the user account setup. :)

17. magician thread starter macrumors newbie

magician

oh really?

18. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

YES ..... of course enter correct information. :(

FJ

19. madog macrumors 65816

madog

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Keeping everything up-to-date won't hurt. I can see entering in false information into an internet survey or if you pirated you CS3 suite or something. But the information you enter into the Mac the first time is mainly for you. Also registering then verses having to go to apple.com/support later makes it easier.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Wasn't that a screen door on a submarine, I need to watch those movies again. back on topic, all of the Macs that I have gotten were used purchased from friends, so they put in my name and address before they gave it to me.

22. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I am shocked!:eek:, shocked that I fell for their tricks so easily.

Darn.

23. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i think everyone is missing the (or at least part of the) question:
    no, you don't enter the information right in front of the sales person if you don't wish to. you take the mac home, and open it, and switch it on, in your little room, without anyone looking behind your shoulder. that's when you enter your information. and yeah, keep them real.

24. magician thread starter macrumors newbie

magician

how? how to enter the information after home since quited that part in front of the sales?

25. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

If you buy from apple retail store, without using educational discount or such.

You tell them what is it that you want, they might ask for your name, might not. They might ask for your email address, so your receipt can be sent to your email, they might not. That's it. They aren't gonna ask for your address or such.

What information are you talking about?

If you want to buy online, well, all the information they ask you, you'd have to give them real answer, for obvious reasons.

That's in US anyway, I have never bought Macs outside of US. Judging by your spellings and such, you are not buying Macs from US or English speaking countries (?), so I'm not sure about your specific situation.