Did you find any features on Leopard that were surprisingly cool?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by projectMECCA, Nov 19, 2007.

1. projectMECCA macrumors newbie

Did you find any features you didnt think about before pre-Leopard but now love?

Personally, I have 2.

I love the new Dictionary with Wikipedia. It is now open all the time and I use it religiously. To me it has become the ultimate reference tool. I never dreamed of it being so cool and useful.

Another is the fact that i can scroll inactive windows. its just so functional and cool.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I had obsessively read so much about Leopard that not much was a surprise, though I've been really happy with many features, especially Time Machine (already recovered my whole machine after a botched Boot Camp installation), Spaces, .Mac syncing of settings/Dock/Dashboard, web clipping, and some of the other well-hyped improvements.

One thing that was a sort of small but very pleasant surprise is the new Movies widget. I think it exemplifies what a widget should be - intuitive, quick, everything in one place. Really a great addition to the core Apple widgets...I'd love it if they ported it to the iPhone too.

EDIT: Scrolling inactive windows is really cool! I don't think I'd even noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Good to know my obsession wasn't completely total :)

3. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I also love the new dictionary.
    Like the integration of wikipedia but more so that there is a Japanese dictionary and a Japanese thesaurus...
    the new dictionary just rocks.

4. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

yeah, inactive scrolling is awesome for when you are working in one window and reading another...

especially so you don't have to keep cmd-tabbing or using expose

5. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Quicklook is really slick and I use it all the time.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is totally the "money" feature for me. I discovered it accidentally the day I installed--I sort of reflexively TRY to do that periodically, except in Leopard it works. Pretty sure that's a standard feature on Windows (or is it only with some mouse drivers?), and MAN is it handy in some situations.

I also hadn't put the slightest bit of thought into Quicklook ("meh"), but it turned out I really love it--so nice for poking around media folders or "hey, check this out" for friends.

Ooh, Wikipedia-ized-Dictionary.app is nifty. Wikipedia without the clutter!

7. nlivo macrumors 6502a

screen sharing is really easy, quick and cool. Quick Look is great and Time Machine still very much has the "cool" factor all over it. Sometimes i just open it so i can scroll my mouse over the little timeline on the right side of the screen.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Quick Look for me.

But I hate the opening screen. All that purple "space travel" imagery is so kitsch.

9. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Quick Look is awesome, scrolling inactive windows is really useful too. I like webclip and I think searching menus from the help menu is really useful.

And the new cat looks good too. Love the new massive icons - does anybody know where they are located in the system so I could have a browse?