Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photoz

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2006
I ordered the magic mouse, having never used either.
After reading this thread, I thought maybe I made a mistake.

I called Apple, asked if I could switch from the mouse to the trackpad, they said I would have to cancel my order and create a new one. I said no thanks, I'll stick with my current order. Phone rep said I'll give you one for free. Thanks Apple!

So now I'll have both the mouse and the trackpad ;-)

Heresiarch

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Netherlands
I've used the MBA trackpad and god, all the gestures and smooth controls mean no more turning back.

Then went to an Apple reseller and tried the magic mouse there. The ergonomics was absolutely horrible. So tiny, so flat, I don't really understand anyone but girls can use it well.

It doesn't help that I like games and the magic mouse's small size and difficult to repeatly and accurately do left and right clicking won't help a bit. I still have my Logitech M705 and the legendary MX 518 for games. I LOVE huge mouses. :D

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
What are some of the gestures that are awesome, for instance what is close tab, or back page? Refresh?

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
does anyone know if you purchased both and you want to return one with the order of the 27inch. imac can you just return that one item

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
I tried both in the local store, I found the tiny mouse just too small for my hands. I have quite long fingers and the mouse was uncomfortable to use, unlike the mouse I am used to on my PC. So, I have ordered the trackpad. Plus I have checked on e-Bay and a used Magic Mose is much cheaper should I decide I need one. :D

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I've used both. I prefer the trackpad for my usage. The Magic Mouse was nice, but:

- It requires you to lift your left finger to right click, so for gaming I had to have a separate mouse.
- Gestures are different from my laptop trackpad (So switching back and forth I end up doing the wrong gestures at first.) Also the surface for gestures is quite small coming from a Macbook trackpad.

So I have a Magic Trackpad and a Logitech Anywhere MX mouse. For work I use the trackpad, for games I use the mouse. I occasionally use the mouse in Photoshop, but other than that it is all trackpad.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Anyone know if this effects shipping at all? Do these and the keyboard ship in box or do they ship if different boxes(allowing for no delay no matter what you pick)?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Get the trackpad. It's much more useful and fun with all those gestures and tricks.

Magic mouse magically sucks, maybe useful if you want to attract shallow chicks.
But if you're gonna get a high end iMac with upgraded GPU, you'd wanna use it as a gaming machine too. You really should because 680MX is a very capable graphic card.

Get the trackpad and a REAL GAMING mouse instead :cool:

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
I hate the "Magic" mouse. It's too small. My hand hurts like hell after using it for a few.
I'm using my old Microsoft mouse instead.

The trackpad is nice. But I prefer a mouse.

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Trackpad. I installed it and the keyboard in this:

http://bullettrain.com/express.html

It's almost as comfortable as the MBP keyboard/trackpad layout. (There's a couple of quirks, but for me, ergonomically it's absolutely essential. I hate using the mouse, and using the trackpad anywhere but in front of they keyboard kills my thumb for some reason.)

Gumbys69

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Ordered my Mac with the track pad, only bummer is shipping went from 2-3 days to 7-10 days:(

G

goodlittlesquid

I think the trackpad is far superior for the average user, and looks better with the keyboard. The gestures rock. However I am a graphic artist and require more accuracy with point and dragging in photoshop, illustrator, etc. Also already have a wacom intuos tablet which can be used as a trackpad (though it doesn't have that satisfying 'click' push pack to it).

Unless someone can dissuade me. Any designers/artists out there happy with the track pad? I would prefer to get it over the mouse but I'm just not convinced.

racher

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
Seattle, WA
I hate the "Magic" mouse. It's too small. My hand hurts like hell after using it for a few.
I'm using my old Microsoft mouse instead.

The trackpad is nice. But I prefer a mouse.

I also don't like the "Magic" Mouse. Honestly, I think Microsoft makes some of the best mice out there. I have two wireless MS mice, and several wired versions. But I ordered the trackpad with my new iMac, since I'm used to it with my MBP.

I also love the weird looks I get when using a Microsoft mouse with an Apple computer... :)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Have the Magic Mouse and the Trackpad and honestly the mouse gets much more use. I don't find it uncomfortable or hard to use and I have large hands.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I'm a first time Mac owner so was a lil bit confused but decided to go for the Trackpad. I figured hell a mouse is a mouse can just get one later. Hopefully didnt make the wrong decision.

I really like the TrackPad.

It makes my frequent transitions between my Mac Pro's & MacBook Pro's seamless & easy.

Yet that said, I also use a mouse for certain precision work, but I don't use a magic mouse. Over all the years, I've yet to find an Apple mouse I liked. Apple seems to be too focused on style over function. No surprise there.

Type4O

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Ordered my new 27" iMac this eve with TrackPad. So used to using the trackpad on my MacBook Pro, and as someone else in the thread said, OSX is really built for gestures, which I have also become very used to. It's probably much easier to keep clean as well.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
I called Apple, asked if I could switch from the mouse to the trackpad, they said I would have to cancel my order and create a new one. I said no thanks, I'll stick with my current order. Phone rep said I'll give you one for free. Thanks Apple!

So now I'll have both the mouse and the trackpad ;-)

You're kidding me. Steve would not have allowed it. :eek:

rnb2

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2006
West Haven, CT, USA
I think the trackpad is far superior for the average user, and looks better with the keyboard. The gestures rock. However I am a graphic artist and require more accuracy with point and dragging in photoshop, illustrator, etc. Also already have a wacom intuos tablet which can be used as a trackpad (though it doesn't have that satisfying 'click' push pack to it).

Unless someone can dissuade me. Any designers/artists out there happy with the track pad? I would prefer to get it over the mouse but I'm just not convinced.

I'm not a designer (photographer), but I've been using a combination of an Intuos tablet on the right of my keyboard and a Magic Trackpad on the left for over a year, and love it. I have the tablet for precision work, and the trackpad for navigation and gestures - it's a great setup. You just have to get used to using your 'off' hand with the trackpad, but you get used to it after a few days.

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
Magic Mouse. I do a lot of work that requires very precise dragging and placing of objects and I just can't do it with the Trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.