Did you get AT&T insurance for iPhone $9.99?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by born4sky, Oct 7, 2011.

1. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

I just placed a pre-order for an iPhone 4S and now I have 30 days to decide if I want it or not...

What do you think?

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

3. davelanger macrumors 6502a

No, its $10 a month isnt it? You are better off getting applecare if you are going to be paying $10 a month, that is 120 a year, and 240 over the life of your phone.

Its not just a one time fee right? I know it was not when I got their plan two years ago

4. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

it's $9.99 a month and if you lost or broke it it's $50 detectable

5. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Go with applecare, that is a ripoff. Over the two years you are paying more than what applecare would cost. Plus apple has the best customer service, best buys protection plan is a 3rd party. And when you need to get it fixed, they send it out, and you have no phone while its out or I think they said two years ago they will give you a crappy loner phone.

Applecare all the way

Also if you have home owners insurance you can probably add your phone if its lost or stolen

6. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Applecare+ dont cover you if you lost your phone.

7. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Well then why create a thread asking if you're already set on an answer? You asked what I thought, I presented. :)

8. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

not yet

9. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Really depends on if you think you'll lose it, I use Verizon and didn't get it. I don't think it's worth it for a monthly fee because I've never lost a phone. Gotta try to contact customer service now and have them add AppleCare+ since they didn't have it available.

10. rayward macrumors 68000

Your homeowners / renters insurance will cover your phone automatically, and will pay if it's lost, stolen or damaged physically. You will have a deductible on that, though, and many homeowner's policy deductibles will be higher than the cost of a phone (usually 1% or more of the home value). You can buy a personal effects policy for the phone that will cover the same risks but with a much lower deductible.

Paying the AT&T insurance makes no sense to me. $240 over the life of the contract to insure a phone that cost you $200 - $400 does not compute. Even if you have to pay more than the subsidized price for a replacement, it's still about a 50% rate on the cost of an unlocked phone, which is crazy.

Most retail insurance plans are giant rip offs. They make huge commissions on their sale, which is why they push them so hard. A good rule of thumb is never ever buy them.

Also check your credit card terms and conditions. You may well have insurance from them for a limited time.

11. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

So don't lose your phone. :confused: