Did you get double charged for your 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PezRadar, Jun 12, 2009.

1. PezRadar macrumors regular

Not sure what happened.. but it may be completely normal.. I just wanted to check if anyone else is experiencing what I am.

Scenario:
    I preordered in store (AT&T Store) on Tuesday June 9th around 5pm. I had a pending charge for $215.68 on my account.

Fast forward to today..

I still have a pending charge for $215.68 on my account, and today ANOTHER pending charge for $215.68 appeared on my account.

I personally thought - Oh maybe its shipping and they are charging me again and the other will clear. But I went to check my order status from my e-mail (it is being shipped to the store for June 19th pick up that morning) and it still shows "In Process" like it did on June 9th.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Should I freak out here? First time I've ever dealt with AT&T. I called the store and they said they can't check on it until Monday since its past 4PM and AT&T is to check on those types of issues.

Just want to gauge if anyone else is experience this? I hope the other charge drops off.. $430.00 kind of hurts my account though Ill survive but its quite odd.

Thanks!

2. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Both are probably just pre-authorizations and will eventually drop off. Usually if the item ships they will release the initial authorization right away.

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I had this exact same experience with AT&T before - they overdrafted my debit card by about 4 cents last year because they charged me for a $150 phone twice. (resulting in a $35 overdraft fee!)

AT&T refused to take responsibility for this (they *did* charge me twice), so I assume it happens all the time.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Usually they authorize for the amount when you order, and that will drop off in ~5 days. Then you get charged the amount when it ships. Maybe they're shipping your phone and the authorization didn't drop off but they made the real charge? There's another thread about someone saying AT&T shipped their phone already? If you got charged, as in actually charged, then they're shipping your phone.

People that ordered from Apple will be pissed if all the AT&T people get theirs early next week, lol.

5. PezRadar thread starter macrumors regular

Yet my order status still shows 'In Process' like it did back on the 9th.. so I have a feeling it hasn't shipped yet..

6. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

interesting. I don't see the charge on my card at all! maybe you paid for mine? THANKS! lol

7. swisspancakes macrumors newbie

i was just searching "at&t double charge" online when i found this forum. i too went into an at&t store to pre-order the iphone 3gs on thursday, when the machine rebooted and the sales guy said "oh, this happens all the time. we'll call and cancel it and then you can come back in and redo the order". here it is, saturday, and the transaction is still "pending". kind of sucks, i suppose, but the rep i spoke to at my bank (bb&t) said that you can dispute any double-charges.:apple:

8. swisspancakes macrumors newbie

p.s. the guy asked for my email address and such. i dont have a wireless number-- where would i log in to see any supposed "order status"?

9. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

The order status page is extremely hard to find. Here's the link:

https://www.wireless.att.com/order_status/

10. PezRadar thread starter macrumors regular

FYI

1 of the charges dropped off..

So now I only have the one from June 12th on my account. Probably just placing another pending charge on my account since the 1st was about to drop off.