Did you get your iphone fully worked after water damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lulusafari, Jan 3, 2011.

1. lulusafari macrumors newbie

Today I put a thermal cup in my purse, with my iphone. (Iphone 4). With the worst luck, the cap of the cup popped up and I didn't realize until I saw water dripping out of my purse. Then I found out my phone was soaked with hot green tee from the cup and was dead already.

As panicked as I was, immediately I tried several times to turn on the phone, and there was no reaction. Then I connected it to my my mac, no reaction either. I shook hard the phone and blow dry it, trying to get the water out of the phone.

Finally, I cooled down and googled what to do. I found out some very useful tips (http://hubpages.com/hub/Apple-iPhone-Water-Damage) and realized I shouldn't have tried to turn it on or connect it to a computer. Anyway, I think my phone has probably already short circuit since it was dead when I found out. Just cross my fingers now hoping it can be alive after being buried in a bowl of rice for several days.

But I am still wondering if I can get it fully work after this accident. It seems that quite some people had similar water accident with their iphone. How many of you get your iphone fully work?

2. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

accidentally poured coffee on my blackberry a year ago and had the same effects. It wouldn't turn on. So I tried the rice method for two weeks and presto! Turned on like nothing ever happened. Smelled like coffee ever since though. I only tried to turn it on once, not numerous times, before I tried the rice trick.

I've never had it happen with my iphone so I don't know what to expect. Report back after a week and let us know if it works for you.

3. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

No iPhone stories, but I have a couple other gadget-liquid-trouble stories with relatively happy endings:

My dad spilled milk on his LG Dare and it was halfway submerged before he realized. A few days in rice fixed it so that it worked fine for the next few months before the increasingly unresponsive touch screen stopped working.

My brother spilled milk on his MacBook and it wouldn't even turn on. He left it upside down for a day and it miraculously works completely now (although it is noticeably slower than normal).

Me, on the other hand, have never damaged my MacBook (4 years old) or my cell phone or iPod. :D

4. abc123 macrumors 6502

I spilled a thing of chocolate milk onto my MBP (when it was less than 3 months old). I immediately turned it off and dried it out for a few days and it worked perfectly. I even took it into apple a year later for some [unrelated] warranty work and they didn't bat an eyelid.

Then a few months ago I split a very small amount of water on the keyboard. Not even enough to make me think that it got between the keys but now my tab key and caps lock keys don't work anymore :(

5. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Accidentally spilled a full glass of wine into and onto my iPhone...
    Did a version of the rice trick (silica gel) and it worked fine after that...though admtttedly, it can't type a straight line anymore.;)

6. gco212 macrumors 6502

Was down the shore and put it in my pocket. I normally leave it in my car's glovebox, but forgot. Anyway, ran into the Atlantic ocean with it in my seconds, and didn't realize it for fifteen minutes. Luckily, I was playing with my cousin who is four, so it only got waist deep when a wave came in, but it was pretty wet. This was about two weeks into having an iPhone 4 mind you. I was furious at myself.

USB had some corrosive damage (you could see it and it kept telling me "this accessory is not designed to work with this device", though I was able to restore and remove the jailbreak I had on it) and the LED near the camera was on slightly whenever the phone was on, so the battery lasted an hour or so. Took it in, and was fairly honest about it with the genius, and got it replaced as somehow none of the water sensors were damaged bad enough for it to be out of warranty. I still don't know if he was just being nice or if that was actually true. If you can't get it to work, take it in and be honest. You might get lucky like me.

7. lulusafari thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. Let me finish my story. As I said I buried the phone in the bowl of rice yesterday. Today, I charged the phone for some time and then the phone can be turned on. Everything else was working except the home button. So I took my phone to a local iphone repair place. Those guys helped me out perfectly.

My experience tells me, once you get the phone wet, it is important to turn it off and keep it that way until the phone is dry. Also, the guys in the repair shop told me that the sooner I bring my phone to them the larger the chance that they can fully fix it. I guess it would reduce the corrosion done by the water. Anyway, the rice trick does works in drying the phone.

8. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

my gf dropped the bottom half of her ip4 into a bowl of milk. everything works just fine.