Did you go from MB 12 to MBP13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jasmynp, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I've got a 2015 MacBook and I'm thinking about upgrading now.

Here's why:
    - I'm going to school for computer science soon and will need more ram, hard drive space, and processing power
    - I'm do a fair bit of workflow automation and I'm seeing spinning beachballs all over the place
    - I'm concerned about how long it will last and whether I should sell it and upgrade now while theres still some value left in it.

If you're coming from an MacBook, how are you finding the new pro for programming or workflow automation?

2. psymac macrumors 6502

When from MB to MBPtb (one week) then back to MB-missed the portability and not much difference in performance for my needs, extra ports were nice however.

3. coreyk macrumors member

coreyk

I went from a 2016 MB to a late-2016 13" Touch Bar MBP and I'm very happy with the switch. I'm a web and iPhone coder and I definitely notice the performance improvement with the MBP in general usage, compiling/running builds, and using Windows in a VM, with the faster processor (I got the top-end i7). It's very nice having the 16GB of memory, the additional USB-C ports, and the keyboard has slightly more depth giving it a better feel (in my opinion). Also I happen to really like the Touch Bar, but that's a personal preference. The MBP is certainly heavier than the MB, but I don't really notice the weight difference when I'm wearing my backpack, I still carry it around with me and consider it a nice portable machine.

4. johannnn, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017

johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

The non-touchbar 13" sounds like a solid and not too pricey upgrade for you.

5. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I went from 2015 rMB to 2016 nTB 13"

Very happy, I personally am glad to be back on silver vs. space grey on my rMB

and don't feel the lag like I did on my rMB, though it was tolerable and quite a capable casual task machine

Still I prefer the 13" a lot more, and the added real estate

The DCI-P3 screen is a marvel too if you get a good panel,

and I prefer the keyboard a lot more, but its similar

6. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

"The DCI-P3 screen is a marvel too if you get a good panel,"

It's cryptic sentences like this that leave most of us normal people baffled. DCI-P3? Good panel? Vs. what?? Can you provide a little more information so we can all benefit from your technical insight on our next Macbook purchase? Thanks.

7. thadoggfather, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

DCI-P3 is the type of screen that it is (2016 rMBP's), like iPhone 7/7+ and iPad Pro 9.7, able to show cinematic colors
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCI-P3

really POPs (look at Apple trailers app, for example and compare a device aforementioned with one that is not, you see the difference)

as for a good panel, I mean in terms of uniformity/brightness, etc. since there is a wild variation from unit to unit (as has always been the case with screens/manufacturing, not specific to DCI-P3)

8. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I might bump up to a 13" nTB sometime next year or if my rMB suddenly gives up the ghost. And despite the ridiculous price the 15" MBP is pretty tempting...

9. teksurv macrumors regular

10. Another Day macrumors newbie

I use both. Silver tbMBP 13" for home and space grey 2016 m7 when I'm out and about.

11. ascender macrumors 68000

I've done it both ways in recent times and the only upside of the Macbook is that its ultra-portable. In my case, that means I can put it in my rucksack, run to work and I don't notice the added weight - its like having an iPad in there. Any of the new MBPs on my back feel like a big chunk of metal.

However, if I'm walking to work or between meetings, I really don't notice the extra weight of the 13" MBP. The footprint of the new machine is smaller than previous versions too. Its more powerful than the Macbook with a bigger screen, improved keyboard, more powerful etc, so if you have the money and don't need the lightest machine possible, I can't think of any downsides to upgrading.