Did you guys install printer drivers!?!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hidehide, Nov 3, 2007.

1. hidehide macrumors 6502

I'm installing leopard, using my iPhone now :)
    Just find out the printer drivers are 1.6gb!! What a waste of space when you actually only need one driver!!

2. inkswamp macrumors 68030

inkswamp

Well, maybe you only need one but others might have reasons to installing them.

But to answer your question (at least from a Tiger-install perspective) no, I didn't install them all either. I also didn't install the languages I don't need. That saved a ton of space too.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

No, I don't bother. Just plug in the printer after you're done installing Leopard, and launch Software Update. There it is, the specific driver you need for your printer. I love it.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Have you actually done this and was it really that simple

I didn't bother installing the printer drivers, on a desktop i know that it won't be seeing many printers so thought i would just install as and when needed.

5. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

Um, since you will get driver of the printer when you buy a printer.. Or you can find it online.. they should have whether you want to install or not in the main step instead of inside customized..

6. TimJim macrumors 6502a

no printer drivers or extra languages for me either. i would never use them so theres no point wasting 1.5+ gb's of space.

7. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

really? Damn, its really really simple.....!!!!

When the installation starts.. The dvs stopped spinning.. It scared me so bad, since i didnt backup as i trust apple.. But it stays not spinning and the bar didnt move for like 10minutes.. Then out of sudden, the disc spin back again, and it runs smooth after tht, im at 90% now!! :)

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I don't bother with printer drivers except for HP. I have one at home and that's all we have at my university so I make sure to have them.

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

Sometimes you can find it online, sometimes the printer comes with it, but other times you cannot find it, or the driver is old, or who knows what.

Furthermore, the drivers only take up a few gigs. The smallest hard drive that Apple ships in new systems (disregarding the aTV, the iPhone, the iTouch) is 80GB. If the drivers take up 2GB then you are talking 2.5% of the total capacity, not too bad really if it means that you basically never have to hassle with looking for drivers for a foreign printer.

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

is there a way

Is there a way to uninstall the pd's after the install, and the languages. It doesn't appear that monolingual works with leopard.

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

tivoboy - delocalizer is old and Power PC based app, but it still works on intel machines in leopard. It will remove lots of language files. It can take a while, but will clear out several GBs. I've never had a problem with it.

as for printer drivers, you could search the system and just delete them.

I don't install languages or drivers either. The bigger number on my free space is more valuable to me.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I skipped the brands of printers I'd never buy.

13. shecky Guest

shecky

i install the HP and Canons; thats about it. i have had to print stuff at clients or other studios and that covers 98% of the printers out there i run into.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes, I've actually done it, and yes it's that simple. I have a Brother HL-2040 laser printer.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I didn't install them on any of my machines and they still found my HP printer on my network, driver and all. Works fine. Also didn't install the languages, but ran Deocalizer and Monolingual, which works fine BTW, just in case.

16. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I only ever install the HP drivers. Works fine for me.

17. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I deleted most after I installed. Opened up about 2gig of space.