Did you guys reformat your mac after buying it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by devilstrider, Oct 27, 2010.

1. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

I'm about to do it now and I was wondering will anything be missing when I do.

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Unless you bought a used one, why would you do that?

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I do to remove all the printer drivers, translations, and fonts. Saves a couple GB right off the bat.

4. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I was wondering because I just put my stuff on a USB stick and print from my windows PC. Can't get my MBP to work with my printer for some reason.

5. sportster macrumors 6502

Buying new? No, haven't reformatted after buying a new computer.

Used/preowned? Yes, I always reformat them. A clean OS install always runs better. Plus it gets rid or any unwanted software/spyware that may be on it. This mainly stems back from my PC days. Old habit I guess.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

IMO ... no point in reformatting a brand new perfectly working Mac.

However your Mac should have no trouble printing ... something is already missing

7. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Of course there is a point. Why bother having printer drivers installed on a machine when you may not even own a single one on that list or how about a bunch of different languages you can read anyway.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I took mine out of the box (new), turned it on and started using it right away. I've never reformatted, reinstalled, repaired permissions, reset SMC or PRAM, or any other major maintenance procedures. After 2 1/2 years, it's still screaming along with no problems at all. This is exactly why I switched from Windows to Mac!
    Not a good idea! Those drivers and fonts don't take up much space and you may be looking for them someday. You can remove unwanted languages and architectures with Monolingual. No formatting is required.

9. tharris0101 macrumors member

I do, but thats just because I usually like to dual boot with 3 partitions. But I also just like knowing exactly what is being added when I install. Call it OCD, but somehow it feels more like mine if I am the one that installed the OS.

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Why?

If it's a factory-fresh machine, you're only wasting time.

11. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not wasting any time because I'm a tech head and I'll only learn from the experience. People kill me with that its wasting time. Nothing is a waste of time if you gain knowledge from it.

12. badpinoy macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I bought a used one and in was a little paranoid that they might be a keylogger or spyware. So I gave it a clean install.

13. tharris0101 macrumors member

I generally agree with you, but the OSX install is so clean and easy that you probably won't learn much... :p But I say do it. You won't be missing anything and will be able to customize what gets installed.

14. vant macrumors 65816

I reformat new or used.

The printer drivers are useless for me as I don't have plans to ever have 5 different brands of printers. I also don't have plans to learn German or Korean so those are out too. I also remove the Xcode software.

Installing the drivers aren't hard at all. I use an HP printer, and installing the drivers via the printer system page is one of the most trivial things I've done on OSX. I don't trust third party apps to remove system files, so reinstalling OSX is the best option.