did you hear the hammer? another nail for hd-dvd

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Keebler, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

looks like another nail was hammered in the coffin by Wal-Mart:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/15/technology/wal-mart_blu-ray/index.htm?cnn=yes

Personally, I know there have been debates on the qualities of blu-ray vs HD-DVD, but my personal belief is that either format is pretty kick a$$ so i just wanted one or the other to die so they can settle this dispute NOW.

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Looks like Blu-Ray is the new HD format.

It is too bad too, since HD-DVD was cool because it has no region encoding. Blu-Ray does.

TEG

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

FWIW they don't use nails to seal coffins. ;)

And at this point I'd hope Blue-Ray comes down in price. Either way I'm not sure I care who wins but I was pulling for HD-DVDs.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

did at one point in time. :p

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Very nice.

Hopefully now the Blu-ray spec can be stabilized (isn't there a new version coming out soon?) and the prices of the players can drop. I don't want to buy a PS3 just to play movies.

6. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

Regardless of the various pros and cons. Having 1 format win now is better than having a drawn out battle. Blu-Ray is it for now.

7. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

8. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

just saw this on cnbc. another knife to the gut of HD-DVD. i think its to the point now as to WHEN, not IF, blu-ray will be the last one standing.

9. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i think we will see a price drop in blu-ray once they are the clear winner and companies can focus on making strictly blu-ray players. at least i hope they do so i can finally buy one with out having to drop $300

10. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The final nail was when Warner switched, this is just the aftermath to the burial.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I still think it was the name that did it. I mean, it's easier for people to remember Blu-ray.

13. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Really? I'd think it's easier for people to remember/understand HD DVD. I mean, it's DVDs, and it's HD. It's a HD DVD!

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

HD-DVD is too many letters. With 5 letters, you're going beyond what most people are willing to say. If it was 5 letters that could be spoken like a real word (eg: SCUBA, LASER, etc), it would be easier. Also, not everyone knows what HD stands for, what it actually means, and why it's better. They just know the picture is supposed to be better.

Blu-ray is a combination of 2 real words, and sounds techy and catchy.

It's just my opinion though.

16. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

17. asxtb macrumors 6502

Actually... they do in some places. The last funeral I was at (about a year ago) nails were used to seal the coffin.

Anyway, I agree, I think the naming did have an impact. Blu-Ray rolls off the tongue easier than HD-DVD.

18. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

But I think BR would be a better abbreviation than BD for Blu-ray. People are going to call it Blu-ray, not Blu-ray disc.

And besides, BD stands for Brewer's Droop.

19. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I think we need a winner sooner than later and this is good news toward a winner. But to be honest, regardless which format wins, I don't think I will be buying a new player in the short term. If DVD's are around a while I will slowly transition - although price will be a key factor for me.

Anyways, I think the name HD DVD is the better name. Think about it, in disc format we have had CD'S then DVD's so HD DVD seems logical in naming progression, I think.

20. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Or Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, a disease.

Good that the war looks to be over. Now Toshiba just need to admit defeat and we can get on with this new-gen format.