Did you know a Greek camera was produced in the 50s?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by needfx, Aug 17, 2014.

1. needfx, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014

needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

http://picopoulos.blogspot.gr/

Attached Files:

2. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

Nice reporting, needfx :cool:

I wasn't aware, I knew of the Russian and Germanic cameras, but had never heard of this. Thanks.

3. needfx thread starter macrumors 68040

needfx

thanks but I just regurgitated something I read in the past. I did not write the piece

for some reason, I remembered it earlier today and thought about sharing; because it's caring

4. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Great piece NeedFX. It is an unfortunate consequence of technological progression that analog is superceeded my dugital and mechanical by electronic. I find it sad that so many master craftsmen are taking their skills with them effectively bringing an end to crafts as they conclude their careers. I watched a video segment on making scissors. Sounds boring but is actually interesting the amount of work and attention that goes into making them.

We see the same thing of coopers, thatchers, tanners, all previous craftmanship of the highest order just dying out through commoditisation.

Wish there was a way of maintaining profitability in these things to keep them around.

I love mechanical watches because they are marvels of engineering. In a world where everything has a computer inside, there is something soothing about gears and springs.

Reading this just made me smile. Long may these guys continue their craft.

Ken.

5. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

It's interesting that artisans of the food variety have had a major renaissance of sorts over the last fifteen years, or so. I hope this will eventually apply to things like mechanical cameras, but actually being affordable for the common man and not merely an under-used toy for the elite... That having been said, I see plenty of stores online with folks repairing, servicing and selling mechanical photography equipment, which is perfect for me and sits beautifully with my environmental ethos to re-use rather than purchase new. :cool:

6. needfx thread starter macrumors 68040

needfx

I'll visit the guy's shop and ask him if he has for sale. I am really curious what price he'll ask, if he does sell any

7. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Nice story and attractive camera. But,

""The cost of production was very low for Kodak. The first Piccas sold, but my father couldn't fight Kodak. It was too big," he says.

With no loans available from the Greek banking system to provide Dimitri with the capital in order to compete, the Picca was confined to history. Nikos believes another factor was also present in the equation. "

Your Dad certainly would have known the post-war plastic Brownie existed and Kodak certainly had an established base in Greece with film. Huge risk if he thought the Brownie would not be sold in Greece.

Chasing one's dreams is important. But the minute you invest in them, its business.

8. needfx thread starter macrumors 68040

needfx

Yep, but not my dad

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If you use quote tag, you'll prevent this confusion.

10. needfx thread starter macrumors 68040

needfx

thanks, fixed!

11. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

True, but, message number three does contain a vital clue to realising it isn't needfx's dad. Not that too many around here actually read the entirety of many threads... Based on the consistency of folks misunderstanding each other in so many threads, which could have been avoided if they read just a little more before giving their opinions... There again, maybe I'm just a pedant at heart... :eek: