Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
NOTE TO ALL:

Never buy the 1st version of Apple ANYTHING. Once these get out in the wild, there's going to be threads full of problems and complaints. Oh, and maybe even a price correction. Just you wait.

Yep!
While Windows always releases crap that doesn't work, Apple just releases crap that isn't as good as it could be. I should have waited to get my mac mini, because like a month after I did, they had a better version out. And soon after I got an ipod nano, the prices dropped.

Just keep your belt on and hold onto your pants - soon the clamshell will be a divine product, I think.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
The MBA would be perfect with
1 a dock
2 an external battery
3 a 32Gb SSD BTO version it would still be enough for most documents to take on the go.
4 a BTO 160GB version. If they can put it in the iPod, why not in the MBA?

160GB 1.8" drives are thicker than 80GB drives.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
No, I didn't because we don't have an online store in this country. But even if we did, I wouldn't have ordered a MacBook Air (MBA) because I feel Apple erred on the side of design and made a few compromises on the side of functionality.

Here are the pluses and minuses:
+ Absolutely gorgeous, I'd certainly stand out from the crowd at Starbucks.
+ Reasonably priced.

- Too big bezel around the screen. They could have had a 14" widescreen in there. But I can live with this.
- No ethernet port. But there is a USB ethernet adapter.
- A firewire port would have been nice (the unpowered firewire port as used in the Sony Vaio's is very compact). But I can live without it.
- Stereo speakers would have been nice. But I can live without them.
- Only one USB2 port. Should have had atleast two, maybe even three. From what I understand about USB, it goes back to the speed of USB1.1 if there is even one USB1.1 device present in the hub. So even if we use a hub with the Ethernet adapter and a mouse connected, it would slow down the Ethernet to the point of being unusable (assuming the mouse is USB1.1, which I suppose most are).
- No replaceable battery.
- No upgradeable RAM.

I would have paid more for some of the above features. The last two are the blockers, because they mean that an MBA won't have a lifetime of more than a year or 18 months.

I'm wondering, do I order an MBP now. Or do I wait for the next rev of the MBP's? Or do I wait for the next rev of the MBA?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
- No replaceable battery.
- No upgradeable RAM.

...The last two are the blockers, because they mean that an MBA won't have a lifetime of more than a year or 18 months.

how do you figure that? 2GB is more than enough for what the MBA was designed. and not having a user replaceable battery, while unwise in some respects, hardly forces an expiration date of 18 months.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
I'm in the market for a new laptop so I was waiting to see what Apple would announce. I'm not too impressed though. For that price range I would rather just stretch to the extra £100 and buy a MacBook Pro. I think that I will be going with a regular MacBook though. You get more performance than the Air and an optical drive for a lower price. I don't need my laptop that thin, it's not like the currently available ones are massive.

basherhp2112

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
so who here pre order it? or going to get it this month ?

I second that emotion.

I would like to play around with iTunes and compare it between the Macbook Air and the current black Macbook.

Just curious to see the differences in processor speed.

- MacBook Air Stock: 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory

- Black MacBook Stock: 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory

Don't get me wrong.

I love the new look of the Macbook Air.

Just curious to compare the two in an Apple Store in say about three weeks.

Peace.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
These are the X505 specs, barely functional as well for today's use:
10.4" screen
20GB HD
2MB cache
max capacity of 512MB 266 Mhz DDR RAM
keys are small
small bar is extremely small
no built-in WiFi
no trackpad, very small mouse buttons
actual battery life 1.75 to 2.5 hr with built-in power management
Price $2,999 to $3,999

Wow, what a piece of ****. Why would anyone want one of those? Oh yeah, and it runs Windows as well...

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
These are the X505 specs, barely functional as well for today's use:
10.4" screen
20GB HD
2MB cache
max capacity of 512MB 266 Mhz DDR RAM
keys are small
small bar is extremely small
no built-in WiFi
no trackpad, very small mouse buttons
actual battery life 1.75 to 2.5 hr with built-in power management
Price $2,999 to $3,999

Oh, but you just have to use it. Its better then anything else out there, slowness aside. It runs onenote fine and if you can use the iphone keyboard, you can use anything. It (or at least mine) shipped with a pc card wireless g card. And you can swap the battery like a real laptop! I've got 3 batteries and that gets me through a full day.

041vt8.jpg

Enjoy your Macbook Air's, not for me. Me and my macbook pro (and x505) are just fine here.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Oh, but you just have to use it. Its better then anything else out there, slowness aside. It runs onenote fine and if you can use the iphone keyboard, you can use anything. It (or at least mine) shipped with a pc card wireless g card. And you can swap the battery like a real laptop! I've got 3 batteries and that gets me through a full day.

snip

Enjoy your Macbook Air's, not for me. Me and my macbook pro (and x505) are just fine here.

Awww... such a cute little PC.... It's not it's fault it has to run Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.