Did you purchase via iPhone Upgrade Program or Cellular Carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3587, Sep 12, 2015.

?

Apple Upgrade Program or Carrier?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2015.
  1. iPhone Upgrade Program

52.6%
  2. Carrier

47.4%
  1. 3587 macrumors 6502a

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Not sure what to put for voting as I placed a reservation via the iPhone upgrade program and got a confirmation that I can pick it up between 10 am to 10:30 am, but I plan on picking it up with the intention of paying full price at pick up and not use the iPhone upgrade pick up.

3. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

Neither. Just bought the phone outright. I don't like debt.

4. EW800 macrumors 6502

I am waiting for the 7 to come out next year, but wanted to say that I am right there with you in regard to debt. Not a dime of debt here and love it!

5. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not really debt... More of a lease. Smart leasing program. New every year, no hassle. Turn in the old one, get a new one. Anyone can buy the phone outright, but that doesn't make much sense with this Upgrade Program.

6. E3BK, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Yeah. The main reason I was buying them full price was so that they would be unlocked for travel. As long as there isn't any interest accruing, I don't mind spreading payments out. I'll use my AMEX that I pay off every month anyway. I'm wondering if it's possible to pay it off early though. Or if you can pay multiple months in advance.

7. billinaz macrumors 6502

billinaz

Pre Ordered just before midnight at the VZW B2B website. Its the only way I can order other than on the phone with a rep.

[​IMG]

8. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

A lease payment is still debt and a payment that I need to make each month. I learned a long time ago that I can build wealth and save a lot more money when I didn't have to write as many checks each month.

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Why ?

10. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I wasn't planning on upgrading but I figured I'd give the upgrade program a shot and see if it makes the yearly upgrade easier. I'm assuming they will make the process painless to encourage participation and perhaps prioritize inventory for members when upgrading in the future. Seems like a big money maker for Apple so hopefully they will provide a good experience.

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

Yeah this is weird. It's not actually bad debt as no interest is accrued. I don't want another monthly bill myself but it almost makes sense not to pay it off and get the upgrades every year.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

Installment Loan. You will be required to apply for and enter into a 24-month 0% APR installment loan (“Installment Loan”) for the full retail price of the eligible iPhone (“Financed iPhone”), AppleCare+ for iPhone (“AppleCare+”), and applicable taxes and fees. You will enter into the Installment Loan with Apple’s bank partner, Citizens Bank, N.A., doing business as Citizens One (“Bank”). Additional terms and conditions required by the Bank apply.

Early Upgrade Option. At any time six (6) months after the date of enrollment, you can become upgrade eligible by making advance payments so that you have paid the equivalent of at least twelve (12) installment payments under your Installment Loan plus any taxes and fees paid at the time of enrollment.

Termination of Original Installment Loan After Exercising Upgrade Option
    . Upon successfully exercising your Upgrade Option and entering into a New Installment Loan with Bank as outlined above, Apple will pay any remaining balance due under your original Installment Loan on your behalf to the Bank, and Bank will consider your original Installment Loan to be paid in full. Subsequent monthly payments will be made under the terms of your New Installment Loan, subject to the conditions of “Return of New, Upgraded iPhone After Exercising Upgrade Option,” as set forth below.

12. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I hope the upgrades will be seamless! That would make the program well worth it!

13. 3587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to see what people picked... See if the upgrade plan is worth it... Seems to be. Thanks for caring.