Did you receive Leopard Restore DVDs with your MBP SR?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RichardF, Nov 12, 2007.

1. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

I bought my Glossy 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz on Oct 29 2007, it shipped on Nov 1 2007 and it came with two Mac OS X 10.4.10 Restore DVDs + 1 upgrade Leopard disc.

Since I wanted Leopard (10.5) Restore DVDs, I called Apple Care and was told that all machines are currently getting 10.4.10 restore disks and that Leopard (10.5) Restore DVDs won't be avail until a few weeks from now.

Anyone bought their MacBook Pro recently and could please let us know what was in the box: 10.4.10 or 10.5 Restore DVDs?

Thank you!

2. Bilvox macrumors member

Bilvox

same

I purchased my MBP on nov1 as well. Inside was also the same arrangement as what you have.

3. blammy macrumors newbie

My friend recently purchased one, he received the 10.4 full install disk and a 10.5 upgrade (apple calls it the "drop in DVD").

4. devvoid macrumors member

I ordered a 15" MBP on Friday, so when it comes I will let you know, but I have a feeling it's going to be 10.4 restore discs.

Is there any sort of trade-in process where we can get the 10.5 restore discs when they become available? I'd rather have a clean install of leopard

5. cjc81 macrumors newbie

You can actually do a clean installation of Leopard with the Leopard Drop-In DVD.

6. devvoid macrumors member

interesting...I was told by apple support that the leopard drop-in requires tiger to be installed (so no erase-and-install option). Do you have this disk/were you able to format and install leopard straight from that DVD? If so, that'd be awesome

7. cjc81 macrumors newbie

I just got my MBP recently. Here's some pics on it =)

You can boot right off the Leopard Drop in DVD, before the installer will allow you to continue, it will search for a Mac OS X Tiger installation. After that, you can select the erase-and-install option.

If you run into problems with that, here's something else that you can do.

Boot with the Leopard Drop in DVD, go to Disk Utility, erase your hard drive. (yes, the idea is to remove Mac OS X Tiger totally). Now, when the installer attempts to search for exisiting Tiger installation, it will fail, and not allow you to continue.

Now, from one of the drop down menus above, select "Restore from Time Machine". As soon as the screen loads up, click on "Go Back", and now, you can install Leopard.

8. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Thanks guys. I appreciates the feedback.

In regards with what the Leopard upgrade disk can and cannot do:

It's an upgrade disk so it will indeed look for a previous version on Mac OS X on your computer.
    My MacBook Pro had 10.4.10 pre-installed and I used the drop-in Leopard DVD to upgrade (took about 55 mns).

I haven't used the other options avail but my understanding from what I have seen is that once it has validaded there is a previous version of Mac OS X on the computer then you do get the several usual options when it comes to installing Leopard, including the erase & install.

9. devvoid macrumors member

Thanks, that helps. So I guess the last question would be this:

1. Get my MB with tiger installed. Boot off the leopard drop-in disk, do the erase-and-install
    2. AT a later time, I want to format and reinstall leopard. Will having leopard ninstall allow me to do an erase-and-install or does the drop-in disk only look for tiger?

10. cjc81 macrumors newbie

Yes, exploiting the *bug* i described earlier, you could erase the hard drive, then do that clean install. As for your files, you can create another partition, dump the files there first while you do the clean install.

11. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Congrats, very nice pics.

I didn't have the patience to document my unboxing! :D
    I love the smell in the box. That's what I call making memories, hehehe

Like you, I did replace the 2GB stock RAM with 2x 2GB even before turning the MacBook Pro on for the first time!

You will love the Airport Express, it's such a nice toy, I have one in each room almost and you can play music to all of them at the same time from iTunes, it's really neat.

12. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

With 10.5 already installed, it will allow you to erase & install yes, no problem.

13. cjc81 macrumors newbie

Have to agree with you totally. My Airport Express is connected to my Citypulse DAC via optical link, which is hooked up to my speakers.

Yup, apparently, we belong to the group who are really daring to replace the RAMS before even booting up.

I am still contemplating whether to get a 7200rpm hard drive. Did you replace yorus?

14. devvoid macrumors member

sorry, call came in at work and I missed your last sentence describing that procedure. Thank you very much, I'll give that a shot!

Can't wait for the new MBP to come :D

15. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Nice going! :)

I didn't replace the HD. Where are you looking? I would love a 250GB @ 7200 rpm... or better!

16. cjc81 macrumors newbie

No worries mate.

You'll love it =)