Did you upgrade to the Keurig Vue?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shinji, Oct 28, 2013.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Has anyone tried the newish Keurig Vue system? It's not backwards-compatible with normal K-Cups. It's a whole new thing because they lost patent protection apparently.

http://www.keurig.com/vuesystem

Supposedly it brews hotter, has more of a drip coffee mouthfeel, and you can recycle the cups now. Anyone try it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No reason too, The K-cups work well, if I want it hotter, I can always put the coffee in the microwave and get it hotter :)

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'll be honest, given how the K-cups tasted and their tendency to hit or miss, we just went back to a $20 coffee pot. Maybe the Vue is better, but I'm not about to drop another $150 to test it out.

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

After 4 Keurig pump failures over the past 5 years, I'm no longer willing to spend money on that format. Google Keurig pump failures and tell me I'm crazy..

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is unfortunate. My daughter has had one for several years without any problems. She loves it.

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I use mine everyday, but I really want to try out Starbuck's new machine or the Nespresso one.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I agree. I loved my Keurigs. Making coffee in my perk is a pain in the ass. If only they could make a better pump, I'd be back in a second..

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I only drink one cup of coffee a day so I love my Keurig. A regular drip machine is wasteful for me, IMHO.

9. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

You use the regular Keurig or the Keurig Vue everyday?

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The Keurig units are fast, neat, and convenient.

Now...if you want to spend more time making the coffee than it takes to drink it...

:p ;) :D

Attached Files:

11. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

Keurig's new partnership with Lavazza for the Rivo® espresso machine will no doubt break your heart http://www.keurig.com/brewers/rivo-brewing-system

12. musicjunky macrumors regular

Look into single-cup drippers. That way, you don't need to keep buying K-Cups (any beans or grounds will do) and you don't run into not-hot coffee.

Tried K-Cups a few times and they always come out not hot enough, and if you need to microwave your coffee, you're doing it wrong (coffee snob territory but the temperature at which your coffee is extracted is key to good flavor).

13. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Oops. I should have been more specific. I have the regular one. I am thinking of upgrading to the Vue or jumping ship to the Nestle or Starbucks machines.

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It's hot enough for me. I'm not that big of a coffee nut.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

As a truly demented coffee freak, I say whatever pleases you is right!

I'm one of those folks who prefer the control provided by semi-automatic machines, to say nothing of grinding my own beans fresh, and (OK, I know this is nuts!) roasting my own beans.:p

But again...whatever works for the individual, and gives them coffee that they enjoy...terrific!:D

16. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

But then you have to wash the filter, brew basket, etc. Keurig is just popping it out and chucking it- no real clean-up or maintenance necessary except descaling every so often.

17. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I wasn't too impressed with the Keurig coffee I tried. I prefer to use a french press or my $30 Mr. Coffee cappuccino machine I bought over 10 years ago.

I also absolutely hate the idea throwing out all those K-cups. It seems an awful waste when I can use a scoops of ground coffee and only occasionally. Not to mention how obscenely expensive they are even compared to a lot of gourmet coffee beans.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Almost everyone I know with them has suffered pump failures but got replacements, even out of warranty. I got one as a housewarming gift 5 ½ years ago and it's still going strong.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I think you belong in another league of preparing coffee!!!!! From the other thread I think you would put most coffee houses to shame with one of your home brewed cups!!!!!

Envious to say the least!

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not sure how this happens - doesn't the Keurig machine have an adjustable temperature setting? Mine's set at 192°F - more than hot enough for my mouth. :eek:

21. musicjunky macrumors regular

I'm not sure. It was the smaller version and I only used it a couple of times. I might be wrong about the Keurig machine. I'm still going to grind and brew my own cup, but I can see how convenience can win out as well.

----------

I'm talking these things

[​IMG]

Just toss the filter and rinse the dripper. I don't use those hanging stands, just put one over my mug. You do need a kettle though; I use a regular old electric kettle, not the fancy goose-neck ones seen in coffee shops.

22. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

Oh, like a chemex type thing? I've never had coffee from them. How does it come out?

I thought you meant the single cup drip machines. I was looking at this http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beac...GBS4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383069957&sr=8-2 in my search

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm sure that you know that the water temperature has nothing to do with making it hot enough for drinking. The water temperature (which varies with the production method used) has to do with the optimal temperature for maximal extraction of the grind used for that production method.

With drip, I believe it's in the 185º-195º range. I know for espresso it's 199º-201º for proper extraction. Also, prior to extraction, it's important not only for the water in the boiler to be the proper temperature, but the brew group, the portafilter/filter basket and brew head to be properly heated.

And speaking of heating stuff up...my machined has had the proper heat up time... going to make an espresso now!:D

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Temperature...nothing to do with...hot enough...what? :confused:

My point was that the temperature is adjustable. If you want it hotter, dial it up hotter.

I'm no barista, but I believe espresso is made from steam - which I imagine is even hotter than 201°.

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

While you may well know better than I...from my reading the temperature at the brew head should be around 200º. The pressurized system forces the water through the tamped grinds in the filter basket at a minimum of 9 BARS...with some machines putting out 15-18 BARS.

In pump, lever, and piston machines, that means water, not steam. The stove top espresso makers (e.g. Bialetti) do use steam.