Did your MackBook Pro have dead pixel(s)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryuukumori, Jan 31, 2008.

?

Dead pixel(s)?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    21.0%
  2. No

64 vote(s)
    79.0%
  1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

So, this thread is to find statistics for people on this forums who bought a MBP in the past year or so and discovered dead pixels. Time to see if the hardware on these notebooks are truly reliable, and if it's up to expectations as far as performance.

Did your MBP have dead pixels when you bought it?

If so, and you bought online from the Apple website, how did you return it? Is it possible to take a customized notebook and exchange it at an Apple store or did you have to ship it out?

Time to investigate!

2. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Yes it has dead pixels that were there since it was new. It's a late 2006 revision MBP, with a standard build that was purchased from a 3rd party vendor (MacConnection.com). I'll be taking it into an Apple store shortly and I expect the machine to be sent off to the repair depot to have the display replaced.

3. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Mine had a stuck pixel about 1/4 from the left side and 1/3 down the screen.

I was successful in messaging it out.

4. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Messaging it out? Do you mean as in typing a letter at the stuck pixel and it disappears?

5. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

i'm pretty sure he meant massaging

6. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL, never thought of that either... Thanks for the correction. Is there a way to "massage" dead ones (or is the term "stuck" the same as dead)?

7. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I don't think so, if it doesn't I am unaware of them.

8. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Stuck=one color is not working, these are amenable to graphics solutions
    Dead=pixel not working, can only be fixed by physical methods

9. a4abt macrumors regular

No, my MBP's screen is perfect :p

but my external monitor has a dead pixel in the upper left corner and it's annoying!

10. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Just one, on the left side. I don't even notice it anymore.

11. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I've got two. Not a single thing was wrong or is wrong with either of them.

EDIT: Two MacBook Pros that is, not two bad pixels!

12. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Good luck with this. Apple's dead policy pixel is 6-8 I believe.

13. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Mine might satisfy that criteria. I haven't wanted to hand over the machine for repair until I had a second one to use while it was out of my hands. I bought the macbook a couple of weeks ago, so that problem is now solved (I gave the PB in my sig to my GF last summer).

14. AndyM macrumors member

I always fear getting a dead pixal. I probably have OCD or something becuase i want it to be perfect!

I've been quite lucky it seems, My Powerbook 12", Macbook 13" and Macbook Pro 15" haven't had a single dead/stuck pixal.

I've heard people have got away returning it to apple claiming they are designers and every pixal counts. So if you do want to return it, try and say something aong those lines.

15. Pivzavod macrumors member

First of all, a dead pixel means that at least one of the colors does not work, and this is manufacturing defect. A pixel is stuck if one of the diods is on all the time, then one can try software or massage. The dead pixel is visible on the white background while stuck pixel is not.
    A bought MBP about two weeks ago, and noticed a dead pixel on the screen. After reading this forum, i got really disappointed because of the stories about Apple LCD policies and hours on the phone. Anyway, i grabbed my computer and went to Apple store - just to try to talk to a manager. First, a girl at a reception desk told me that i have to make an appointment at the genius bar, but i softly insisted on talking to the manager. I described my situation, told him that the dead pixel was the first thing i noticed after turning on my computer. The manager called another guy - probably from the genius bar, and asked me if i want a replacement. Notice, i didnt talk about replacement - they were first to propose it. The funny thing is that when i opened the new box - to check the screen - the laptop also had a dead pixel! So i got the third one - with a nice LG screen. I really didnt expect that kind of service..so its always worth trying. Notice that is was Apple store, not resellers, and the laptop was not customized.
    The main thing you should do is being polite and nice, so the manager thinks you're a good guy :)

16. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

18. dug1980 macrumors newbie

Dead & Stuck Pixels

I noticed a cluster of dead pixels (dead = black, no color) on my 15"macbook pro - near the bottom of the screen, about 3in to the right of the dock. a few days later I got a stuck pixel (stuck = only blue showing) near the top of the screen. I bought this as a refurb from the apple store online about a year and half ago so I knew I was past warranty. I tried the pixelfix widget (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/pixelfix.html)
    And it worked for the stuck pixel in about 10 mins. Still no luck with the "dead cluster" though.

19. Pivzavod macrumors member

You can not fix the dead pixel, but you can try to get a new screen on ebay and replace yours.

20. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

No, no dead pixels. I also had no dead pixels in the 8 iMacs and 3 ACDs purchased since 2006.

Just sheer awesomeness.

21. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Not a single dead pixel on any apple portable I've dealt with (at least 5).

22. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, and it is VERY annoying because it is in the centre of the display, but because of my last experience with Apple's support I don't want to send it in. Plus, I doubt they'd give me a replacement for only 1 dead pixel, even though it is in the middle of the display.