Did your previous iPhone have better /worse/same reception INSIDE & OUTSIDE???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RonHC, Jun 25, 2010.

1. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I'm not talking about the antenna issue when holding it on your left hand, i am talking about the signal strength in general

On my iPhone 3GS, I had about 2-3 bars inside and 4-5 bars outside
    On my iPhone 4, I have about 1-2 Bars inside and 2-4 Bars outside

So my reception got worse on the iPhone 4
    What about you?

2. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I am not too concerned about bars as some have suggested that the bars on iPhone 4 may not reflect actual signal strength (some say even with no bars, calls are not dropping).

But I will tell you that with the phone on a table (not being held) I got horrible reception at work today- iPhone 3G gave me 3 bars on 3G and iPhone 4 in the exact same location gave me EDGE 1 bar if I was lucky, and often no signal at all. I could not surf, check email or make a call.....

I hope this is fixable with a software update.... Or I hope it is a true hardware problem with my particular phone and getting a replacement will fix it.

Anyone else with worse reception than with your last iPhone?

3. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

4. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

5. Jetwash macrumors member

My signal strength appears to be about the same as my 3G.

6. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

how many bars do you usually have?

7. xmtgx macrumors regular

Same as 3g for me no matter how I hold it. Naked Ip4

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I seem to get the same service everywhere except work. It actually improved there.

9. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

10. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Not considering the antenna problem, my signal is the same as my 3G. At home, the signal usually stinks - about 2 or 3 bars, but I always can make and receive calls. At work and everywhere else, I am usually at 5 bars or 4 at worst.

11. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

my 3gs had ridiculously good reception. rarely did i ever notice it going down from 5 bars unless i was in a known bad service area.

with the 4, the phone is still blazing fast (tested via speed tests) but where there was a consistent 5 bars on the 3gs, the 4 fluctuates between 3-5 quite often depending on how i hold it. again, this is not affected the strong signal at all, unless it drops to 1 or 0 bars. then the service dies.

12. kangaralph macrumors member

i dont have the antenna issue :eek:
    i tried but i cant

13. nohite macrumors member

I got 1 bar at work with iPhone 4 on the table. I used to get 1-3 bars with 3GS running ios 3. But I am able to surf the Internet without interruption on iPhone 4 with 1 bar. One trick is to put a little padding under the top of the phone to create an angle. It helps with the reception.

14. JamieRN macrumors newbie

JamieRN

I work in a hospital in the operating room. Our department is tucked in the hallows of the hospital where cell reception is hard to get. My 3GS would fluctuate between no signal and 1 bar. I haven't seen my iP4 loose it's signal at all in the OR. It fluctuates between 1 bar and 3 bars. Very pleased!

15. YodaOfDarkness macrumors newbie

My 3GS couldn't load a damn thing at Dodger Stadium once the game started, but last night, I was pleasantly surprised to be uploading pictures to facebook and reading a few articles on MLB At Bat 2010 in between innings.

I'm just hoping it wasn't a fluke... after all, it was a Dodgers-Yankees game, so there had to be more people trying to use their phones, and my dad couldn't even get his G1 to connect to a data network at all. I go to about 30 games a year, so we'll see how this one holds up compared to the 3GS over time :)

16. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

17. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

18. wgary macrumors member

Ditto here. I am frustrated.

19. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I am getting the Griffin Reveal, I hope it stops the signal loss

20. parrothead001 macrumors newbie

Mine has gotten better. Faster too....
    I do have the antenna issue but a ifrogz thin case completely solves it.