Didn't AppleCare used to come with diagnostic software?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Luba, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I believe AppleCare used to to come with diagnostic software. I believe it was TechTools by MicroMat, am I correct? Why did they stop including it?

Is it good software and worth buying & having a copy?

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Yeah, it was TechTools Deluxe. I couldn't say why Apple stopped carrying, but Micromat sells the Pro version. You can use the built-in Apple Hardware Test by booting up holding the D key. On older Macs you needed one of the install discs in the optical drive, but newer Macs boot to the test without it (I guess it's on a hidden partition or the Boot ROM, etc.).

I don't think TechTools is necessary. Even if it found a problem, would you be able to fix it yourself?

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I still have a copy of Tech Tools sitting in /Applications. I haven't run it in months, years maybe? I was new to Mac and I got TTD with either AppleCare or perhaps it was with MobileMe or was it .Mac? When I ran it, I was reminded of the old DOS based pc diagnostic tools called checkit. If I was having problems with my Mac and trying to figure out if I should do an archive and install, a wipe and install or consider a trip to the Genius Bar, I suppose I could run TTD. Problems with my Mac? Do those words even make sense in a sentence together?

4. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

As far as I usedstand the heresay, Apple management didn't want to pay a rate increase from Micromat. So they ditched the diag disc.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

TechTool was practically worthless at any rate.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

I got TTD in mine (UK) but the disk is already out of date stuck at version 3.1.3 with most files from 2007 and nothing seemingly later than 2009. Probably not much cop at detecting Thunderbolt issues.