Didn't back-up SHSH files before Spirit JB

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Neeliosis, May 3, 2010.

1. Neeliosis macrumors regular

Neeliosis

A friend of mine asked me if I did, and I told him no. He then said that I can't upgrade OR downgrade OR restore anymore. I really don't care about the fact that I can't downgrade, but the fact that I can't restore, or upgrade. I did the same with my iPad. Can I still upgrade and restore? :confused:

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I could be wrong, but if you upgrade to whatever Apple releases next (for example, 3.1.4, which would plug whatever hole Spirit is exploiting), you will not be able to go back to whatever OS you're on now, be it 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. Apple will no longer sign those older releases when they release a new one, so you would not be able to restore to the older OS using iTunes. So, just don't upgrade beyond 3.1.3 if you don't want to lose your jailbreak, or at least wait until a new jailbreak is released for newer versions of the iPhone OS. Otherwise, you're screwed.

3. Neeliosis thread starter macrumors regular

Neeliosis

I really don't care if I loose jailbreak when I upgrade. I just want the ability to restore, and upgrade. That's it.

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

You can always restore to an unjailbroken, upgraded version.

5. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Upgrading & restoring won't be a problem at all. It's just downgrading that's impossible without backing up SHSH files.

6. Neeliosis thread starter macrumors regular

Neeliosis

Thank you so much guys! My bud said that once you JB with Spirit, the firmware is not official anymore, and that iTunes won't detect it as a firmware. He's wrong, right?

7. AppleNewsFlash macrumors newbie

Backing up SHSH after you had done the jailbreak.

If you were like me and jumped onto the Spirt jailbreak and did not backup your SHSH don't worry. You can still go through this process using Umbrella. Restore your phone back using iTunes restore. Once restored put your phone into dfu mode and proceed with the Kip of the SHSH using umbrella application. Once you backed up your SHSH you can then re jailbreak your device. I recommend you do this before apple updates the firmware. :apple: