Didn't buy AppleCare+ but replacement is eligible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by martiansoldier, May 5, 2012.

1. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Last Saturday, I bought and open box iPad (3rd gen.) 32 GB WiFi + 4G (AT&T) from Best Buy. A couple of days since buying it, I did the dead pixel test and noticed that it had a couple of dead pixels and dust specks under the screen. I took it to an Apple store today and received a brown box replacement. Based on the SN (DMPH) & production week (March, week 12) I gathered that my replacement is a refurbished unit.

So, I decided to check on the warranty status and it says I have AppleCare+ although I never did actually purchase AppleCare+ with my original open box purchase or today with the warranty replacement.

If someone returns an iPad, doesn't the AppleCare+ get canceled at the time of return?
    I expect that the AppleCare+ warranty that shows up on my replacement will disappear in a couple of days when systems are updated.
    Has anyone had any similar experiences? If so, did AppleCare+ get canceled eventually?

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

The customer has to actually contact Apple and cancel it. It may take some time to "catch up" and be gone but it's possible the original owner either forgot or didn't think he was able to cancel it and didn't. More likely though it just hasn't shown up yet as canceled.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd make an appointment with the Genius Bar to ask this. If they tell you, no it's cool, you're covered, get something from them with a case/incident/whatever number to show this.

If the applecare+ disappears in a couple of weeks, you should be able walk into the apple store with that piece of paper and get it yourself if you so desire.

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Not necessarily. From a friends experience Apple considers "open box" iPads purchaed from a store like Target, BB etc. basically as previously used when it comes to warranty. The warranty date is effective the first time it was activated in iTunes so if the "open box" unit was purchased more than 30 days from when the original owner activated it they won't sell him AC+. If it was never originally activated on iTunes that would be a different story.

5. martiansoldier thread starter macrumors 6502

The closest Apple stores are all an hour away from me. So, I don't plan on making an appointment to discuss the AppleCare+ unless I have to make an appointment for another good reason. Hopefully not though.

I didn't pay for it and its just tied to the refurbished replacement iPad that was given to me. I think it may just disappear one day, but I'll check on it periodically until it disappears, and if it does, no big deal.