Didn't do fresh install, now?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andrewdale, Mar 13, 2008.

1. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

So, I got my new MBP about 4 days ago. I'm absolutely loving it.

However, I didn't do a fresh install of OS X and now I'm reading about how much space other languages and random printer drivers can take up. I've also read that most people recommend doing a complete reinstall of OS X as to clear up this type of space.

So, now I've installed all kinds of things and have lots of important information on here now.

My question is, and I'm sorry if I sound dumb or didn't search enough:

If I re-install Leopard, will it erase the personal information I already have on here? I sure wouldn't want to lose all my programs.

Thanks.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, it will - BUT if you've made a Time Machine backup of your system, you can tell the installer to restore from this, selecting only what you need to restore, after you reinstall Mac OS X. This is what I do in situations like yours (assuming the Mac in question is running Leopard).

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Unless you're already running into space issues (which doesn't seem like you would with a MBP...) then I'd say don't bother. Most people don't. Unless you have a MacBook Air with limited space to work with, I'm not sure why you'd need to.

But anyway, that said, if you don't want to do the Time Machine restore thing, you can do an Archive&Install, which will keep your Home Folder (all of your settings, files, and programs) intact instead.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt