Didn't Get the iPad I Wanted - Should I Settle (Keep it) or Return It?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nickpro, Mar 24, 2011.

  1. nickpro macrumors regular

    Jun 11, 2007
    Bay Area
    i needed some advice on my dilemma and figured that this might apply to other people who settled on models they didn't intend to purchase.

    so after 4 days of waiting in line at various apple stores in my area, i scored a ticket to a 16GB White Verizon. i had originally wanted a 16 or 32 Wifi Black bc i used my 1st gen ipad almost exclusively at home and couldn't justify spending the extra money for the 3G or data for it. not wanting to leave empty handed for the 4th time however, i decided to pick it up and decide what to do within the 14 day return period.

    a week later i'm seriously conflicted as far as returning or keeping it. the white is a lot better looking than i had thought it would be and is actually the least important deciding factor to me. as far as the 3G (the biggest factor), i have actually had the opportunity to use it in a useful situation. i took a short trip to vegas this past weekend and took my new ipad, ATT iphone, and sprint android work phone. i had horrible ATT and Sprint reception in my room and decided to purchase a 1GB Verizon plan for my ipad. needless to say i got great service and actually used a fair amount of data for the rest of my trip. it was admittedly pretty cool to have 3G and definitely felt the convenience and overall "better" factor of having 3G on the device. also (obviously) i was glad to have the VZ model bc of course if i would have had an ATT i would have been on the same boat.

    however, its not a necessity and i probably won't be in too many situations like that during the next year. also, coming from a 32GB gen 1, i worry that the 16GB will get used up too fast (I have 4 GB remaining now). another factor is the hassle of returning and purchasing the correct model. we all know how that will probably go. i'm really leaning toward keeping it and continuing my "experiment" with 3G until the ipad 3 comes out. thoughts?
  2. grawk macrumors 6502


    Jan 26, 2004
    Southern York County, PA
    The availability of data service when you need it plus the gps chip seem like they make 3g worthwhile if you can justify the extra $129. But if it's not worth the $129 to you, sell or return it.
  3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

    Mar 7, 2010
    if you can afford it keep it, like you said you had no clue you would be using it, who knows if there are times like the vegas one where it will come in handy... but if need that extra 130 for something else ditch it and try to score the one you want..
  4. ldobson macrumors regular

    Jun 19, 2009
    I purchased the 16GB white wifi+3G model, for me the deciding factor is as a mobile device you will not always have the convienience of a wifi signal available or may have weak signal/protection Wifi networks which you can not use. Also you get the addition of real GPS on the 3G models which in my opinion make it worth it.

    Although for me a Verizon model wouldnt make sense, as it is worthless if you leave the country and I do a lot of international travel, therefore going with 3G GSM was the only way to go.
  5. baummer macrumors 6502a

    Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    I'm surprised your Sprint phone had bad service in Las Vegas. Las Vegas has one of the strongest (if not strongest) Sprint network footprints in the country, and I always have amazing service there. Must have been your hotel or something. Anyway, sounds like you've made up your mind and just need confirmation.
  6. tekchic macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I struggled getting free wifi for my original iPad in Vegas last summer -- everyone wanted to nickel and dime you for their connection. 3G came in REALLY handy.

    Although a lot of casinos still seem to have pretty crappy signals, depending on where you are in the hotel.
  7. nickpro thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 11, 2007
    Bay Area
    yeah the sprint thing was definitely a room issue. thanks for the responses everyone!
  8. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

    Nov 10, 2009
    well if you had a positive experience, then why not keep it. Personally I prefer the ATT models because they can be used Internationally which is important to me.
  9. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

    Nov 3, 2010
    I say keep it. I had wanted a 16gb or 32gb wifi but i found the 16gb verizon and picked it up. I figured id rather spend the extra $129 then wait around to find an ipad 2.
  10. raef203 macrumors newbie

    Mar 23, 2011
    Return it and get what you want within the time frane you have for your return ...the availability gets better every single day....
  11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040


    Aug 11, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Depends on how unhappy you are...if it is slight, I would keep it

    If it is NOT slight, I would return it ASAP.

    If you are more than slightly annoyed, that annoyance wont go away anytime soon. Might as well work on getting it fixed now
  12. laurenr macrumors 6502a


    Jan 9, 2008
    The point that you only have 4 Gigs left, and you've only had the iPad for a short while, would definitely be the deciding factor for me. If you don't think you'll need the 3G feature in future, I would put the money towards the larger HD.
  13. Gix1k macrumors 68030


    Jun 16, 2008
    I would definitely take back a 3G, if I wanted a wifi. No question.
  14. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

    Jul 13, 2010
    +1, unless $130 is nothing to you (but in that case I suppose you would have wanted a 64gb+3g).
  15. 3N16MA macrumors 65816


    Jul 23, 2009
    Go with your gut? Lead with your heart? I don't know something like that.

Share This Page