Didn't he say Siri was still beta?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I could've sworn that he said Siri was still in beta during the keynote.

Does that mean that when all these iPhones ship, Siri will not yet be functional?

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Yes it will be beta.. Public beta. So they probably mena it will get better over time and more features added.

3. Captain America macrumors 6502

Which is always a good thing.

4. Justim macrumors 6502

It is still in beta.

What that means is that it only supports 3 languages. English(USA UK and AUS), French(France and not Quebeq), and German(umm.. Germany...). More languages will be added in future updates.

Beta is a nice way of saying "We didn't quite finish it."

I think it's more about the languages and less about the features. Maybe some features will be added, but thats not enough to call it a beta. If that were the case, iOS would be considered beta.

5. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

I like how it all gets translated on the servers.so when they add new phrases and functionality.it won't require a user update.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Pretty sure the entire point of requiring upgraded hardware is because it's processed locally so it doesn't require a data connection to work.

7. Captain America macrumors 6502

I would imagine that it can only do certain things without data, like reminders, calendar and the like. Still needs data to access Maps, Wolfram and so on.

8. Neocron macrumors member

German is not limited to Germany. People speak German in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and some other small countries - just for your info ;)

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Of course, but we are talking about the AI portion of Siri, not the search functions.

10. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

In the keynote, he mentioned it gets pushed to the server and it figures out what your saying so I take that as everything gets sent. I could be wrong though, after all I did get married so I'm not beyond making a mistake.

11. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

The "beta" tag just means that you can't moan if it doesn't work properly. Apple - like most companies - do not offer support for products in the beta stage.

12. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

From the keynote I got the impression that it processes data both locally AND on external servers in order to understand you properly. I would hope it may try and understand you locally if there is no, or limited, data connection, but we'll find out friday I guess

13. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Possibly the best post I've ever read on here.

14. cube macrumors G5

But they speak different German. Even in Germany you have dialects.

15. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

hehe but seriously, you do love her right?

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

One thing we all know, an Apple Beta typically means stable, as for as a Google Beta, it typically means unstable. lol.

Siri can only get better once it gets out to the millions. They wasn't able to test it with millions before the keynote.

17. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

English has this problem too. I fear for Siri "up North"

18. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

In the Keynote they mentioned it works on both 3G and WiFi, so my guess is it won't work with little or no data connection.

19. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Setting the alarm and making notes should be a local activity but when they demoed dictation uploading to the server was mentioned.

20. bmms8 macrumors 68020

it makes sense to make it a local activity, but i think for siri to comprehend what you say, it needs to send it to the server. only then will it know you want to set your alarm.

21. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If it can't dictate without uploading to a server, though, how could it make notes locally?