Didn't pre-order, what I am missing out on (S0-> S3)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by maflynn, Sep 15, 2017.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ok, so I woke up serendipitously at 2:55am EDT, it was not my intention to wake up, but my natural rythmes are such that I usually do wake up at 3:00am. With that said, I rolled over and saw I could pre-order the watch now. as I laid in bed thinking, I opted not to order.

Did I make a mistake? I have the S0, and I was all but ready to order the Nike S3 wifi.
    What does that give me that my S0 doesn't do?

Here's my list.
    1. GPS - I'm a running so this is a plus, but my routes are usually well defined and the milage is known. Still a plus.
    2. Better water proofing.
    3. More watch faces (because its the Nike version).
    4. Better battery, my S0's not lasting the day any longer - especially if I have multiple long workouts.

Other characteristics, the S3 has a barometer which counts elevation, nice. Faster processor - who cares, I don't play games? What am I missing?

What am I missing out on regarding the S3 (wifi)?

I guess I'm looking for some justification to spend $359. The issue I'm having is, if I buy it, I'll not really see a major difference in UX, it will be visually the same watch

2. thehype31 macrumors regular

I was in the same boat and ended up making the jump to a S3 LTE. I think the biggest thing for me is that 3rd party apps are so incredibly unusable on the S0 that I think there will be new ways that I haven't realized before to interact and use that increased speed, as I completely avoid all third party apps.

I know slightly off the point, but my decision to go LTE is to also open up future phone possibilities. I've always resisted plus sized phones as I don't want to deal with the inconvenience but I think LTE will free me up to move to a larger screened phone in the future. So I guess all in all, it's a future proofing move for me.

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've resisted the LTE flavor for the simple reason that I rarely take calls on my S0 now, but I am a runner and getting texts and other notifications may be a plus.

I've rarely used apps with my S0, mostly because of the form factor, so I wonder how useful the S3 will be.

Good point.

4. slears macrumors member

I have upgraded to a S3 Sport LTE, coming from an S0 Sport model.

I complete at least an hours workout per day using the watch (generally HIIT), plus anywhere from 10k-20k steps per day depending on how active I am that day.

The battery is becoming an issue for me, so much so that I have had to disable raise to wake to get it through the day.

The waterproofing is also useful to me as the S0 is only splashproof, not suitable for swimming. I only socially swim with the kids occasionally but it's useful nonetheless. Although I have worn my S0 in the shower daily and to wash up etc, it's an issue when it goes quite for up to an hour after it has been wet whilst the speaker dries out.

I cannot run as much these days following a few knee surgeries but the GPS feature is interesting, as is the LTE option. I think that these are options that you don't realise the benefit until you begin to use it.

Simply put, the watch I have currently is used to measure calorie burn / steps throughout the day, log workouts and receive notifications as the speed drives me nuts waiting for things to happen.

With an upgraded model, I can also start to look at 3rd party applications and increase the usage of the watch throughout the day hopefully.

I haven't got a pair of EarPods yet, but this may push me in that direction :)

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Depends on the app. Some of my top used are:

My home security system app works great on my AW2 Nike for arming/disarming from my watch. Simple easy interface.

WatchCast app works really well for podcasts, I like Podrunner podcast for mixes and it's a pain to get them to load into the music app - http://www.podrunner.com/

Gymaholic app is pretty good as well.

Directed SmartStart could be really handy if they'd get it to work reliably from the watch. It doesn't right now though.

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I ordered the Series 3 to replace my Series 0 but not for the waterproofing. I have worn my 0 without issue swimming, waterparks, rain, shower, etc. Maybe it was not the official use but no issues in all this time. Battery and GPS will be nice. I wonder if I will ever get auto pause when doing a cycling workout. My current watch keeps running when I stop for a break.

7. syrcular macrumors newbie

I did a similar thing as well. I stayed up till 3AM, ordered the S3+LTE coming from a S0, and then went to bed. When I woke up, I had the buyers remorse feeling and felt like I should wait till my S0 is not functioning like it's supposed to, and decided to cancel my order. I know..crazy, right?

But here's my story. I got the S0, when the S1 came out and the prices went down on the S0 to $299 at Best Buy for the 42mm Black Sport. I felt at the time it was a great value, and worth getting. I didn't think I would really be into it, but then I found the notification system to be really helpful.
    Fast forward to now, and I mainly use the Apple Watch as a reactive device mainly for notifications. So I haven't experienced some of the pain points, as folks that may be using the apps might. So far the S0 has been working as advertised and I haven't experienced any battery issues so far.

The main feature that appealed to me with the S3 was LTE, but then after thinking more about it, I've never been in a situation where I've wished the Apple Watch could make and receive calls without my iPhone present.

Maybe if I had a faster Apple Watch I would use more of the apps, but when I do workouts, and use some of those apps, I find them to run sufficiently. Maybe launch times are a bit slow. Who knows.

So now it comes down to really wireless charging. I would love to eventually have that Airpower eco system, where I can set down all those devices to one charger. So I think getting a new Apple Watch is on the road map, but this gut feeling tells me that I need to start feeling like my existing watch is not functioning anymore, before I go out and fulfill my G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and there's not a blaring NEED that I see in the new watch, at least yet.

The other angle I've been looking at is that Best Buy is selling the existing stock of Series 2 watches, at a much more affordable cost. No LTE (which I think I've established for the most part I don't need) and No wireless charging, but probably comparable speed perhaps?

8. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I'm kind - bummed that the stainless steel is cellular only. I'm not opposed to it, but I don't find it necessary. I have a Series 0 Sport and wanted to move up a level. Hmmm.

9. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

This sounds like a wait-and-see situation. Reading some reviews (pro and here) could be very telling to the changes, and if it's not much of a leap you will save $360. The S0 is limited in its functionality, but with the S3 I think we'll see how much of that is the processing speed and how much is just using a tiny screen on your wrist (especially with third party apps).

You'll be able to buy it for the full price at any point in the next year. I don't see the hurry, other than wanting the new thing because it's new.

10. truesepho macrumors 6502

It depends on how you use your watch I guess :)
    I'm still on S0 as well, I use my watch mostly to check the time (!!!), notifications, tracking running activities and heart beat, set timers. I used it a couple of times for phone calls. I find S0 perfectly fine for these tasks. I admit that with a father processor I'd probably use it for other operations (mainly third party apps), for which S0 is extremely slow, but I feel like they still have to make "the" big jump with the watch... so I'll wait for that to upgrade. I wouldn't mind a slightly larger form factor (44mm) but not thicker.
    I also hope they'll remove that horrible red dot on the crown... :(

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Mike,

I'm also a runner with a Series 0. I generally run with my Garmin and wear the AW the rest of the day including overnight. I ordered the Nike model with cellular today.

For me it's the total combination that's finally appealing. GPS was almost enough last year, but as expected early reports from other runners were that it wasn't that great. Accuracy was poor, app support was spotty, and interacting with the touch screen is a pain. That last issue will remain, but the developer of the iSmoothRun app which I prefer has just released an update targeting the new watch and he seems pretty upbeat about the capabilities of the sensors on this watch. We'll see. Waterproofing will be a plus as I won't have to remove it for the shower or when I go to the pool or the beach with my kids.

Lastly, the speed should be really noticeable for us S0 owners. My watch basically tells me the time, temperature and gives me phone call and text notifications. Anything else - including just pulling up a weather forecast, is too slow to make it worthwhile. I'm hoping for an improvement here. Also, with the cellular connection I'm hoping for a better experience. As good as Apple's Bluetooth/wifi pairing is, I often end up trying to interact with the watch and then noticing that it isn't connected when it should be. Not all the time - but enough - especially when walking around the office or the yard at home. The always-on cellular connection should improve this.

What remains to be seen is how good the battery life is. Can I use a little bit of cellular data throughout the day and go for an hour or so run and still have it make it until bedtime?

12. ideal.dreams, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I pre-ordered a series 3 42mm Apple Watch Sport w/ LTE to replace my series 0 42mm Apple Watch Sport. I'll be gaining:

• Waterproofing on the series 3 vs. water resistance on the series 0
    • Incredible battery life
    • Super fast performance
    • Talking Siri
    • LTE capability
    • Ceramic back on the series 3 vs. composite back on my series 1
    • Additional 8 GB of storage
    • Much brighter display
    I'm really excited for all of the improvements I'll be seeing.

13. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would hope, and yeah I noticed it not being connected on occasion as well.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    What makes you think you'll get incredible battery life, don't both the Series 0 and 3 offer 18 hours?

14. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

My series 0 doesn't make it through one day anymore without entering low power mode. My girlfriend gets 2 days of usage on her 38 mm series 2. Officially yeah, S0 and S3 both get 18 hours. But with the age of my S0, it barely gets 12.

15. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Rated battery life and real battery life are different. They have made improvements in efficiency not to mention a new charge cycle with the new battery.

16. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

It's not a question about playing games - every single function on the S0 is slow... Really slow... That was one of the biggest steps up when I changed to a S2 one year ago - the speed made everything much better. Answering texts, using siri, flipping through the dock, using the workout app..

And as a runner the GPS is a killer combination - to be able to run without your phone is the feeling of freedom

17. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, I see your point, the same thing happens to me, especially if I have 2 or 3 workouts in a day. By 8:00pm, its gone into low power mode. Of course with 3 workouts under my belt, I also go into low power mode as well :p

18. Cnasty macrumors 68040

Cnasty

teach me great one!!!

19. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

LOL, just do what you love.
    I enjoy, going on a run, kick-boxing classes and karate. Sometimes they all fall on the same day :D

20. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just preordered the Nike LTE, I'm not entirely sure about it, in all honesty. What's funny is I forgot my iPhone when I went to my kick-boxing class this morning, and so that kind of gave me another reason why the LTE version may be a good choice.

One major concern is battery life, I'm not entirely sold on the LTE vs. GPS, and I still can see myself cancelling or returning the watch. LTE is a battery hog, and hopefully its setup to defer to BT, then wifi and finally LTE, to conserve battery life.

One thing that's been banging around my head, is that my running suffered greatly this year, for different reasons outside of my control, now that I'm back on an even keel, so to speak, I'd like to set myself up for success as I transition into the colder temps and the nike app/watch faces couldn't hurt.

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Ha, same here. I'm very much on the fence, but it doesn't hurt to order it and continue to research/think. Even if it ships, it's not like I ever carry a credit card balance so it won't cost anything even if I return it. (I'm going to try to be decided before it ships of course)

22. madgalaxy macrumors regular

Has anyone used WatchOS 4 on a series 0? If so how has it been?

I too preorder the LTE Space Black, but I keep second guessing myself.

23. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I was on the fence too, interesting to see that you ordered one. I'm not really a runner or a swimmer (although I do like hiking), so neither GPS, waterproofing nor cellular really appeal as I almost always have my phone on me and can't see how having an LTE watch would mean I'd ever opt to leave my phone at home.

Do I wish my S0 was faster and had battery life akin to how it was on day one? Of course, but I can't justify spending that much on a new one (especially with the iPhone X around the corner...).

The altimeter doesn't entice me as, again, my phone does roughly the same. Siri speaking is pointless for me as my watch is permanently muted. I'm not sure if the new Heart Rate app features are S3-only, but Cardiogram does a good enough job for me regardless.

If the aluminium GPS watch still had a ceramic back and I could choose one of the new Sport Loop bands pre-bundled, it might have tempted me, but as it is I'll just wait until this current one stops working. I'd probably upgrade if there was a version with a minimal always-on face to see the time, or if there were any design changes.

Will wait to see what Series 4 brings...

24. garlicbread24 macrumors member

garlicbread24

I've had it since beta 1... it works just fine no slow downs or anything. With that said it is not much snappier than older OS so its still "slow" to load things.