Didn't realise Apple Watch was so notification centric

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Galacticos, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I'm really surprised. It seems like Apple watch's main function is to make looking at notifications easier, and that's disappointing.

It takes away from iPhone and iOS, which I really like, and I feel almost hostage to incoming notifications.

Anyone else share this experience?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So you wanted a less smart smart watch?o_O Cut them off if you don't like them.:eek:

3. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

Its not that it's just that I wasn't expecting that another way of a receiving a notification would be it's main gig.

I might be underplaying it's activity tracking capabilities

4. Relentless Power, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

This doesn't make any sense to me. You're saying the Apple Watch's main function is to make you look at notifications easier it and disappoints you?

Of course it's supposed to take away from looking at your iPhone, that's one of the main functions is to leave your iPhone stationed while you have your Apple Watch as an in between for notifications.

5. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I knew you could get notifications to it and that made checking them faster, but I didnt realise that was likely the main reason for having one.

I'm trialling one as a gift, so I didn't pay as close attention to what it does as I would for other products

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The Apple Watch serves as a notification device, Which it does do well, but it also has the fitness capabilities, which is the other half of really what it does. I think the notifications are one of the best features the Apple Watch has, because it communicates so well with the iPhone and allows you to keep your iPhone separated from a distance.

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

The notifications help you decide if the notification is actually something you want to respond to or just ignore.

I use them to know when someone texts me because so many times I've missed them on my phone. It's hard to miss them on the watch.

8. Uofmtiger, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

In addition to activity, mentioned above, it works great with Siri. Instead of getting your phone out, it can set reminders, add stuff to your calendar, ask it to check a sports score, set an alarm, work as a calculator, etc.

One of the main things I use it for is to control music on my iPhone. I use Apple Music and you can just tell it what you want to hear and it will play. The Music app on the watch will also let you control which Airplay device you want to hear music on by tapping the button (if you have Airplay devices). You can also control volume, skip songs, use your Watch without the phone for music via Bluetooth. If you use another app, you don't get the Siri commands, but you can still stop and start podcasts on the iPhone with apps like Overcast and Downcast.

I also use mine to see if I have any important mail. I like to be able to just swipe through junk and delete them without ever getting on my iPhone.

The Carrot app puts the current weather and forecast on my wrist. I always look at it before leaving the house.

If you have Homekit devices it is nice to have on the wrist, as well. I can have my phone parked across the room and just tell my watch to turn on "bedroom" and my lamp comes on.

I also use mine when I grill out. I have an app that uses Bluetooth to connect to the phone to tell it the temp of my grill and the meat on the grill. Using Bluetooth on the watch gives it the ability to double the range since the phone connects to the grill thermometer and the watch connects to the phone.

Those are just a few of the things it can do, in addition to getting notifications...which I love. I have security cameras at the house and it can tell me the minute someone or something sets them off.

9. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I like being able to glance at notifications on my wrist without having to pull the phone out of my pocket. I like being able to unlock my Schlage Sense front door, which also turns on a living room light and adjusts the temperature for "home," or the opposite when I am leaving. It will lock the front door and adjust the house temp to the "away" setting. I like to be able to answer a call if I set my phone down somewhere and don't have it handy. I like to be able to set a quick timer for exercise or while grilling. I like being able to do a quick voice response or scribble to a text message if my phone isn't handy. I like the silent alarm, so it doesn't wake my wife or if I am camping

10. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Gosh, I thought silent notifications to the watch was a killer feature! Rather than disappointing, that was my main reason to purchase the Apple Watch.

It's hard to nail down a "main function" because there are so many little things the Apple Watch can make more convenient. Which ones I value the most depends on where I am and what I'm doing at a given day and time. Prior to the Apple Watch I owned a Fitbit, so I didn't purchase the AW for health tracking... even though it does that quite well for me (I stopped using the Fitbit).

I suppose, if there is one feature I would say changed the way I interact with technology for the better, it would be silent notifications on my wrist that I can interact with right from the watch. I rely on a lot of notifications throughout the day, so perhaps it's more important to me than some others. The Apple Watch helped me deal with notifications in several ways:
    • Silent notifications are less stressful than audible notifications, and they are subtle since they don't announce to everyone within earshot that I need to pay attention to my device. I can choose to ignore my watch if I am in a meeting, and it will buzz me again later. I can easily dismiss, postpone, reschedule, mark Done, etc. all from the watch.
    • I don't need to get my iPhone out just to check a notification, see who is calling, check the weather, or to check what song is playing on my iPhone when it is docked to a speaker across the room. The iphone is more distracting. When I get it out to check one thing, I might as well check the news headlines, Facebook, etc. Before I know it I've had it out for 10 or 15 minutes when I just intended to glance at one specific bit of information. The watch isn't as tempting. It's made for quick interactions. Even when I would just glance at my iPhone, I was doing it over and over throughout the day. It's so much easier and nicer to use my watch for those glances.
    • The watch is a good filter for helping me decide what I really need to be notified about. As much as I rely on notifications for work and home related tasks, I used to get a lot of notifications I really didn't need but never bothered to disable. Once those started coming through to my wrist, I started to get ruthless about notifications. I pared them down to essentials, and ultimately I think that made my usage of my technology healthier.
    Sean

11. Ixidor macrumors regular

Not sure if it's mentioned, but my Apple Watch is also my digital wallet. I use it to store all my loyalty cards and also pay using Apple Pay. Works even without the iPhone, say when you go for a run.

I do a ton of stuff on my watch (just to name a few: control lights, fitness, check stock prices/schedule/weather, calculator). Notifications are just icing on cake.

12. bluespark macrumors 65816

OP, I'm not really sure what you mean by feeling "almost hostage to incoming notifications." Are you seeing too many? If so, adjust them in the Watch app. To me, one of the most impressive things about the Watch was the granularity by which you can adjust notifications. I've tweaked mine to the point that I really only see the particular notifications I want to hit my wrist, leaving many others for the phone. For those important ones, though, having them delivered to the Watch is just perfect. I love that I can tell Siri to set a reminder to do something when I get to the office and then get that tap on the wrist as soon as I step into my office building. I love to see texts without pulling out my phone. I love the wrist reminder when my team is about to start playing. I could go on and on.

That said, it does plenty of other things so I don't know if notifications are the "main" thing (though they certainly are one of the main things). What did you want to use yours for? Maybe we can help.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I think there are plenty of good examples in this thread that others have listed how the Apple Watch conveniences their life in and out of their home. Ultimately, there are two main functions for the Apple Watch, fitness and notifications. Both which I feel the Apple Watch does fairly well. There are other features the Apple Watch executes with Apple Pay, timers, controlling your music or your iPhone camera. But the real benefit comes down to allowing one to not have to be tethered to the iPhone. That's really the whole point of the Apple Watch is to not have to use your iPhone for every function that you need to, with the Apple Watch can serve as a middle ground.

One of the things Tim Cook touched on with the Apple Watch is how it serves with Rich notifications. And I would have to agree with this, being texts, emails, phone calls, and/or any other messages are simplistically communicated to the Apple Watch from the iPhone. And we live in a world where convenience is key, and I think that's exactly what the Apple Watch does and acts as a formidable short cut.

14. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

If I'm understanding your sentiment correctly, then yes, I felt the same way when I first got my Watch. It was like the Watch was just for relaying the notifications from your iPhone. Big deal, and possibly annoying, right?

It's a matter of adjusting and tweaking. You may need to turn off or adjust certain notifications (and in some cases you can cut off mirroring of specific notifications). Beyond that, it's a matter of finding how best to implement the Watch. Apple makes it easy to make the attempt, but don't use it in a similar manner as a phone or tablet. Apps are generally less useful as stand-alone applications, and better as "complications" (what shows up on the main watch face). For me, at least, that's where the true utility of the Watch lies. Customize your complications and possibly make a few different watch faces for different scenarios (work, home, fitness, etc.) and then I think you're using it to its true potential.

It took me about four months to fully integrate the Watch into my routine. I could probably still do without it, but I'd certainly miss it at this point. It's a nice little device, but nowhere near the game-changer that the iPhone was.

15. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I think the "hostage" feeling comes from the new experience of the watch as well. When I first got my watch, I felt like every time a notification would come in, that I was compelled to have to look at it and see what it said. It doesn't take long for the newness and novelty of that to wear off and you learn to ignore and filter what you don't want vs feeling as though you have to constantly check it.

As mentioned by Ledgem and others, you also learn how to customize notifications so only those that really benefit you by being delivered to the watch, actually hit your wrist.

16. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Very important advice because there are very busy apps that you really don't need to be notified about in real time. I only have my most important apps (like the security cams I mentioned above) hit my watch face.

Also, just because an app is compatible with the watch doesn't necessarily mean that you want it on your wrist. You can turn those off if they aren't needed, which makes the apps you actually want to use easier to find.

I do love the complications, but I also have a few of my more useful apps sitting in the dock.

17. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I'm very appreciative of the thoughtfulness given in these posts

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple Watch notification is a GODSEND!! Why? I'm deaf and usher's syndrome I don't like taking out my iPhone at bus stop surrounded by strangers. I can check notifications from my Apple Watch without have to worry about them taking my Watch and run.