Didnt setup standard user to begin with.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siorai, Jan 25, 2008.

1. siorai macrumors 6502

A little over a week ago I picked up my new Mac Pro. So far I am absolutely loving it. Even with all the "teething" problems of switching over from a Windows box. When I first set it up, I only made the one user account. I've spent the week setting everything up the way I like it. Now through reading on the forums here, I see that it's a prefered practice to have your root account only to install and modify the system and then have a standard account for general use.

Is it really that necessary? I am the only one to use this computer and I have no worries about anyone else getting on it and changing anything. Plus part of my hesitation in setting up a standard user is the headache of getting all the settings to my liking yet again. Also when I did set up the other account, I can't access the extra drives in my system. :confused: So should I just bite the bullet and go through the headache of setting everything up again or am I fine just using the root account since I'm the only one who uses my system anyways?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Technically, your admin account is not root. That's why you still have to authenticate. There is no issue with not creating a "standard" (non-admin) user.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I've never done the dual account thing. Leave it be and don't worry.

4. sahnert macrumors 6502

If you really want to use a Standard account without setting up everything again, you can create a second account (Named "admin" or something) and set it as an administrator (under Accounts click the "Allow this user to administer this computer" check box). Once you have a second Admin account set up, you can UNcheck that box for your account.