Die Hard Apple Fans

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pepi, Jul 25, 2011.

1. pepi macrumors member

What do you do when all you have is a MAC, iPOD or iPhone and someone sends you an email with an attachment that requires flash (and other) none supported Apple software :confused: Why can't Apple get on the wagon :confused:

I'm thinking real serious about a Tablet and I'm looking more towards the Android :eek:

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

If you have a Mac, then you can download the official Flash player direct from Adobe and view that Flash file anyway.

It's only the iOS ecosystem, where the walled garden exists, where you might have some problems.

If you MUST view the attachment on an iOS device, then your best bet might be to ask the person who sent you the attachment to resend it in a different format. If they cannot do that, then refer back to my first paragraph.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Have you ever used flash on an Android tablet? Its not even remotely pleasant. I'm not the only one who thinks so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8N6zy35x90

Flash needs to die. Its needed to die long before Steve Jobs even mentioned it. You'll be hard pressed to find a web developer that likes flash, or anyone who knows their stuff when it comes to computers who likes flash.

The problem with it is is when Adobe bought out Macromedia they effectively bought out their competition and literally over night stopped innovating. Anyone using both products around that time (like myself) can tell you.

Now that HTML5 is catching on, its lighting a fire under Adobe's ass who knows Flash needs fixed, but doesn't want to allocate resources to fix it. Adobe themselves know flash is dying and they even have out (or its coming out I'm not sure which) a Flash to HTML5 authoring tool. That should speak volumes right there.

Anyway, to your original question, on a Mac (MAC is something completely different) flash works just like it does on any other OS, on iPad or iPhone you can download Skyfire browser if you want flash.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Solution: Boot Camp

As for why :apple: refuse to play nice with defacto standards. Because that the way SJ rolls. Frankly, it rubs me the wrong way. But then again, I ain't die hard :apple:. I like windows and penguins too which meshes with my philosophy of the right tools for the job.[​IMG]

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Just view it on the mac which you can have flash on?

I haven't ever ran into this problem before anyways, I never need to use flash on an iPad or iPhone. Most things are transitioning to html5 anyways, flash just drains the battery on anything it's used on, and I would rather have my iOS devices without flash for this reason alone.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think the point the OP is asking is, how do Apple defenders justify Apple's choices to make OS X less compatible with the rest of the world.

7. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Apple is making the decision to cut flash out of their products in hope that it will die a painful death. Which it definitely needs to do, there are much better alternatives. I prefer not having Flash on my iPad and iPod because most likely if it's in flash I don't care to see it.

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Not many send me mail with Flash ... those few end up in the SPAM filter.

I'm fine with a flash-free environmen.

Actually once I wanted to join some online language school; they had lots of flash. I asked them if they have a plan to convert to HTML5, answer was no. No business. The choice of two adults.

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Remember when Windows Media Format files were common? I think Flash will die just as bad.

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

11. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

This is the most ridiculous thread in the history of the Internet.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

delete it ... or hope it goes to your spam trash

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

WMF death blow was it was so limited on what it worked with MS media player only and even on windows there was a wide range of software choices for media players. I was a huge winamp fan before AOL screwed it up and WinAmp 5 came around. There was music juke box I knew quite a few people liked and then there was iTunes. WMF only worked on on WMP.

Flash on the other hand works on everything but Apple just fine.