Differenc e between iTouch 1G and 2G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kas23, Oct 22, 2008.

1. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I am thinking about buying either a 32GB iTouch 2G or a refurbished 32GB iTouch 1G. Can someone tell me the main differences between the 2 (beisdes price and one being refurbished and the other one not :D) Thanks.

2. focalplane macrumors member

Hi.

The main differences are:

Touch 2G is thinner that the 1G
    Touch 2G has a built in speaker, 1G does not (has a beeper)
    Touch 2G can support an external microphone, 1G cannot
    Touch 2G has volume control buttons, 1G does not

I think there is something about Nike+ which the 1G might not support

Thats about it, i believe

J.

http://www.shinywhitegadgets.com/2008/09/ipod-touch-1g-vs-ipod-touch-2g-to.html

3. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

4. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

But it's not thinner!

5. OnTheiTouch2G macrumors member

The guy above hit em all, except note that the 2g has a contoured (sp?) backside,so it may be a tad thinner at the top and bottom, but may be a tad thicker in its midsection.

6. kas23 thread starter macrumors 603

kas23

Thanks a lot! But, with no speaker, does this mean that you cannot use the 1G as an alarm clock?

And, all this about 1G's battery life being better then the 2G's, is this for real?

7. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

8. Impulses macrumors newbie

It's hardly the winner, one of Cowon's players can reach 50+ hours (with a touch screen, granted it's only 2.5" IIRC). It's very respectable though... And supposedly better than the 1g, though I haven't tested that claim myself.

As for 1g vs 2g, besides the battery... The speaker is hardly much of an upside, it sounds really tiny and way more muted with some apps than others. My videos in particular can hardly be heard over the speaker, I dunno if it's an encoding problem, they sound fine over headphones... It's passable for showing someone a song preview on iTunes or a Youtube video though.

You can barely hear app sounds (like say, a game's sounds) if it's noisy around though, like say... Think crowded restaurant. The volume buttons on the other hand are a much bigger deal, it's certainly nice to have those. It's not hard to get at the volume slider (double clicking Home at any point brings it up along with some playback controls), but it's still easier to adjust w/the buttons.

It's definitely not very useful as an alarm clock unless you're a light sleeper, heh.

The Nike+ and mic support is more of a personal thing, some people won't care much for either, some people will be all over it. The mic has a few uses, such as voice annotations, or doing VoIP calls... And all you need is a $10 mic adapter w/a 3.5mm jack for your own headphones (no need to buy apple's overpriced/crappy headphones w/integrated mic).

9. Impulses macrumors newbie

Oh and the 2g has two widely-documented bugs which the 1g never suffered from apparently... Though I'm sure they'll be corrected with a future software update and neither's a very big deal. Right now when you save a picture off an e-mail or a site or w/e to the iPod it will save the picture properly, but when you open it on the iPod you just see a really blurry equivalent, as if it were a blown up thumbnail (and that's probably what it is).

The evidence that it's saving it properly is the fact that when you sync it to your PC you can see the pic in it's full original resolution, also, if you open it with some photo editing apps (but not all), you can also see it in full res (though some photo editing apps don't open all size/orientation photos properly). My guess is the iPod's erroneously flagging the thumbnail it saves (to speed up navigation) as the main pic.

The other bug is even less of an issue... Whenever you've turned the WiFi off (say, to conserve battery), and you turn it back on manually, you usually have to turn it on, turn it off, then turn it back on again before it connects properly... Kinda annoying but it's just a matter of pressing the button three times instead of twice, not a big deal.

Some people have reported other WiFi issues but the common one I've seen is that one... Personally I haven't had any other WiFi issues 'sides that. I get good range on it, I rarely see it lose a connection, and it's not a huge battery sucker unless I'm downloading apps a lot or using something like Pandora.

10. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Actually a good thing about the alarm on the touch is it comes with better sounds and if you have a speaker dock, play that during your sleep, set it with alarm sound and you will be jumping out of bed! I got annoyed with them lil beeps on the 1g.

11. Impulses macrumors newbie

Actually, I take back my comments on using it as an alarm... I stand by my rest of the comments on the speaker in general, but I just went back and heard the alarm tones again and as the above poster noted, there's some really noisy ones in there... I never use the alarm so I hadn't heard 'em since I first got it.

They seem to blare out of the tiny speaker much louder than anything else tho, certainly loud enough to serve as a wake-up alarm in a quiet room (even w/o a dock, it'll probably startle the hell out of you with a dock). Some of the tones in particular (Alarm, Sci-Fi, Digital) are really quite appropiate for a wake-up alarm, so long as you don't take out your morning rage on the poor iPod. :p

12. Gadgetnutter macrumors newbie

Kind of surprised that no one has mentioned the charging issue with the 2G.

Apple saw fit to remove the firewire charging capability on the 2G so a number of accessories will not charge the 2G e.g. the original Bose SoundDock.

Check that any existing or potential purchase accessories will actually charge the 2G!

13. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

The volume button on the side is probably the largest improvement. It's what sold it for me! :D I have two friends with a 1G who hate it because the 2G has the volume button. It's so convenient.

14. seeny macrumors regular

i’ve had a 1g for a few months now and have just got a 2g (both 32’s) and must say as well as the differences mentioned above it runs apps much faster, example apps like cannongame and goskywatch run 5 – 6 seconds faster

15. g2tegg macrumors member

Thats the most frustrating part!! I have a JBL dock and wont charge my 2g, yet my 1g worked without a problem. Pretty ticked off at apple but not much I can do.

One thing I did notice on the 2g is that everthing seems to load faster. Settings menue on my 1g took forever to load up and the 2g takes a fraction of the time. It could be because my 1g was jailbroken, I dont know. All in all Im glad I have the 2g. The volume buttons on the side are so convenient. Although the speaker doesnt compare to the iPhone, its better then nothing.

16. anuragdalia macrumors newbie

17. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

what?

18. anuragdalia macrumors newbie

i have a ipod touch 2g and i want android on it ..but it is possible only if u have ipod touch 1g ...so i am asking how to convert 2g to 1g

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Sell your 2g on eBay and buy a 1g from eBay?

20. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

You need the following parts:

`1G iPod Touch Glass/Digitizer
    `Home button
    `LCD Screen
    `Motherboard, ofcourse from the 1st Gen touch
    `Housing for 1st gen.
    `Soldering iron
    `Nand Memory chips
    `A really slow procesor
    `Crazy glue

Once you have all that it should be pretty easy. You can sell the 2G touch to get enough money to buy all the parts to build the first gen.

or... you can buy a first gen.. pre-assembled.. if you're a cheater.