Difference Between 1G Ipod Touch and 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jman888, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Jman888 macrumors regular

Because this must be a Trap, I had a 5G 30GB ipod that was 300$ and It was lost in a fire. Insurance Co is paying 300$ For a replacement and the apple store has a 1G 32GB For 319$... Whats wrong with that. It seems too good to be True what flaws does the 1G have because i would love that over my Old one.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The 2G has some new features such as a better battery, curved back, and external volume control.

Nice features.

Personally, I have a 1G and am perfectly happy with it.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

As you should be :) . They are both great devices!

Some other new items on the 2G
    • Internal speaker
    • only slightly lighter and thinner
    • Support for Microphone using the headphone jack (including Apple's new stereo headphones with volume controls and built in mic)
    • Slightly larger glass area (however screen size and rez are the same)
    • Support for Nike +
    • Possible internal bluetooth (not confirmed)
    • NO SUPPORT for charging with Firewire, and lack of support for many legacy iPod devices (speakers, chargers, FM transmitters, etc..)

If I wasn't such a new Apple product junkie, I likely wouldn't have upgraded, however, I like the prospect of being able to use VOIP without needing a dock connected mic.

[​IMG]

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good points.

I used to be the same.

But now I tend to wait. So maybe I will upgrade when the 3rd gen is released.

5. Jman888 thread starter macrumors regular

no legacy support? Ert. that means with 2g none of my current stuff would work?

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am that way only to a point though! As you know, I collect some older and newer hardware. I still use a Quicksilver G4 daily, and often boot up my Quadra and 8500 for some good old Classic fun ;) .

BTW good to see you still posting sushi!

Not all, some. It depends on the legacy product. There are a few good threads about this topic in the forums. Many of the older products will still work for audio (and some control), however if it uses the Firewire bus to charge the iPod, your iPod will not be charged by that device. Many (if not most) of the newest aftermarket components used the USB bus to charge the iPod, os those should still work normally.

I expect to see manufacturers updating their compatibility listings to show if it will, or will not charge the iPod Touch G2.

[​IMG]

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My wife is currently using our PowerMac 933 with 22" ACD.

On a side note, while the current Apple displays are very nice, I am really partial to the older 22" ADC style enclosure.

Likewise. :)

Issues such as this encourage getting connector only type devices so that they will always work with future iPods.

8. ilovemybff2 macrumors newbie

My neice has the 2nd generation iPod touch and asked me to put some music on it for her but I discovered that it only works with windows vista. Is there a way to get it to work in windows xp?

9. Eärendil Guest

I would go for the 1G, you may not have the speakers, but you get the awesome black bezel and it is like 1mm thinner. (the 2G looks thinner because of the curved back but it is not in fact)

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It should work with XP. In fact, it says so on Apple's official iPod touch page:

I know it's an obvious question but...does the XP computer have iTunes installed? Or is it Service Pack 2 or later? You'll have to run Windows Update to make sure you have the latest version installed.

11. brax.j macrumors regular

The second generation iPod Touch is thicker than the first generation.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Indeed it is, by 0.5mm. (By the way, is an iPod touch, not iPod Touch, no capital T). ;)

13. brax.j macrumors regular

The T would be capital because it is part of a proper noun it is Las Vegas not Las vegas same for iPod Touch.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Unfortunately no. Its a trademark belonging to Apple so they can spell it any way they want. Officially, its iPod touch. http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

15. brax.j macrumors regular

When I walk into my office every morning the sign next to the door says iPhone and iPod Touch UI Design.

16. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Apple's marketing says differently. All their posters, their website, and the packaging itself has it as 'iPod touch'.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Please, if you are insistent that you're correct, find an instance of Apple using 'Touch' as opposed to 'touch' on their official site.

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You would know best then. Why does your employer market it as a touch rather than Touch?

18. brax.j macrumors regular

You two are correct I always just used to seeing written the other way on papers I receive thank you for pointing that out to me I will change my signature.

19. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

I might upgrade then as well.
    *Hopes For: Camera, More official Customization, moar memory, and beyond*
    lol

20. jlamb0 macrumors member

I have a 1st Gen iPod touch, and my only complaint is that it takes a number of clicks and screen-touches to pause what I'm listening to when something else needs my attention. The click wheel interface on my previous nano was much faster in this regard, and every once in a while I miss that ability to snap back to reality as soon as necessary.

This was fixed with the 2nd Gen touch with the headphone mic/remote.

I have to say, though, that this minor annoyance isn't enough to make me switch back to a nano. I absolutely love my iPod touch.

21. ilovemybff2 macrumors newbie

I checked to see if I had the latest version of iTunes and I do. It still doesn't work on my computer though.

22. TheAppFinder macrumors newbie

TheAppFinder

Try making sure you have Service Pack 2 or later for Windows XP. You need that requirment in order for it to work. Check windows update to make sure.