Difference between 1st gen and second?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by edward69, Jan 14, 2010.

1. edward69 macrumors newbie

When I downloaded a game on itunes, it said iPhone and iPod Touch (second gen) compatible. What is the difference between the first and second? I thought there was none?

(Ive been out of the iPod scene for a while now... So I dont know...)

Also, where is the 'compatibility' information stored in the ipa? What if I were to change the compatibility? What would I need to change? Is it even possible? :O

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

?#1-2: The second generation iPod touch added Nike+ functionality, volume buttons, built-in speaker, App Store, Bluetooth support, support for external microphone added, more storage, better battery. More

?# 3-6: not sure, but good question.

3. NathanA macrumors 6502a

If you want to know how to edit the IPA to trick iTunes into allowing the install/sync of the app to a device that is otherwise marked as "unsupported," I figured out how to do this a while back and posted the instructions over on this thread.

It does not require the device be jailbroken nor does it involve "cracking" the app in any way...this works with properly-purchased and signed apps from the App Store.

Also, if you have a first-gen iPod and not an iPhone, you might want to use the appropriate forum next time. :)

Good luck,

-- Nathan

4. blue957400 macrumors newbie

That is all that is different, different processor added a speaker
    the external speakers and (maybe a faster wifi) and the first is easier to JB.