Difference between 2.0 and 2.2 GHz C2D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by o.sean, Nov 9, 2007.

1. o.sean macrumors newbie

Hi Guys. I'm new here and have a pretty simple question. I'm wondering what I'd give up by getting the lower-end 2.0 GHz macbook over the 2.2 GHz mid-level one, strictly in terms of lost computing power. I realize I'm losing the superdrive but that doesn't concern me.

I waited for the SR mini-upgrade so I could get 4GB ram down the line, but it didn't have the Canadian price drop that I was hoping would come with it. This leaves me in a bit of a bind. I want to keep to a $1500CAN budget with 4gb ram and 160 or 250 gb hard drive upgrades done myself. The mid-end would put me over that number.

I'll be using the computer for mid- and high-end audio stuff, some photoshop work, very basic video editing, and everyday stuff. I usually have like 6 applications open and running at a time, with varying amounts of CPU/memory load.

Am I going to be losing much by going with a 2.0 vs. 2.2?
    Benchmarks would be cool to see but mostly I just want some opinions.

Thanks.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Not losing much

Hi,

If you're willing to do the HDD upgrade yourself and you don't care about the superdrive not being in there, you'll be cool with the 2.0 Ghz option. Honestly, those small percentage differences don't mean much unless it means a cache upgrade. The only way it would is if you have a high demand for CPU intensive stuff like video conversion or something. You've actually benefited yourself a lot by waiting for the SR refresh. The FSB is faster, and the numbers show good improvement reflecting this, and the integrated graphics also got a big boost.

So, in short, you're good with the lower end given your requirements.