Difference between 2.0 and 2.2 SR MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anotherarunan, Nov 18, 2007.

1. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Hey guys...am thinking of getting a new SR MB and wanted to know if there is any noticable difference between the 2.0ghz and the 2.2ghz macbooks?

The combo drive thing doesnt really bug me (that much), as i am a student on a tight budget and wanted to get an external monitor to keep on my desk and could get that with the money i save from getting the entry level MB.

Also, is it hard to upgrade the hard drive in the Macbook? (as easy as upgrading the RAM?) And what sortve HD should i be looking to get?

I know thats a lot of questions, but have a bit of a dillema! :confused:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The hard drive and RAM are very easy to upgrade later.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have had both this 2.2 is much better made then the 2.0 and its faster....

4. ImaginationLand macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as you.

Upgrading from an iBook G4 that I mainly used for Word Processing, iTunes and a bit of video encoding. Nevre felt the need to burn a DVD, use external HDD and I'm thinking of maxing out the RAM to 4 gig in the near future.

Is there a noticeable difference between the 2.0 and 2.2?

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

yes, its much faster....

6. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Exact same materials are used in both so I have no idea as to what you are referring to.

200mhz difference is not even noticeable.

7. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

What he said^

I would still go with the 2.2 cuz i'm a spec whore.. and because.. dude.. DVD BURNER!

Even if you don't use it.. say you got a girl at your house and she's like "whats that shiny thing on your desk" and you're like "oh thats my new 2.0ghz SRMacBook.. It's top of the line almost" and she's like "wow.... lets have sex, but first burn me a dvd!" and your like... "oh.. i decided to be a cheap so I can't burn you a dvd.. but if you want i can put some information on your flash drive" and then she just leaves... taking her vagina with her.

That would suck.

8. ImaginationLand macrumors newbie

Dude...that is so what I was thinking.

But say I do get the 2.2 and then she sees some guy with a black 2.2.:eek:

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

The QC build on my 2.0 was crap, that what i was saying, and yes its faster....having had all revs of the macbook I can say that :)

10. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I would go 2.2

unless you are absolutely pressed for cash(make sure to budget at most 100 quid for 4 gigs of ram) simply because the resale value will probably more than make up for the difference in a few years when you are ready to trade up for something better. That combo drive will be a resale value killer imo.

11. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

LOL now thats funny

12. chunkdude macrumors newbie

once you go black you never go back. i aint sayin she a gold digger.

13. jablko macrumors member

Most of the time my 2.2ghz MBP idles at 800mhz. If you do a lot of image editing, video editing, or are trying to prove pi is actually a repeating decimal, you'll want the extra 200mhz (effectively 400 because it's two CPU cores). If you only do those things casually, then you can probably be patient and use the money on third-party RAM or an external monitor, both of which will increase productivity on all apps, not just CPU intensive ones.

To me, 200mhz isn't a big deal, but the combo drive would be a deal breaker. That's one of those things that makes me wonder why Apple can get so many things right but puts a drive in their low-end model that not even the low-end PCs are using anymore.

14. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Due to the easy upgradability of hd/ram and marginal processor performance increase I'd say go with the base model

15. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

unless of course the op needs a dvd burner.

16. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

17. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

Think about it.. by making a model without a DVD burner you can say "STARTING AT JUST $1099!" but when people see they aren't even getting a DVD burner they will most likely upgrade. I really think the purpose of the low end one is to get people in the store to buy a higher end one.

[​IMG]

Although the strategy is nothing too groundbreaking, it's still quite brilliant.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

19. kylep6190 macrumors member

See thats why I am getting the Black SR Macbook and then getting 4GB of ram in it, it will be the top of the line Macbook and will still have a very good resale value in a few years.

20. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

UK student...so £601 on a higher ed discount...thats uhm...:confused: $1235....stupid VAT :mad:

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm not even going to touch that subject. :eek:

US$1270 for me after taxes.

22. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

lol at other countries not having real money..

(**** asswipes it's a joke)

23. ImaginationLand macrumors newbie

I think my main worry is if there's a point where I won't be able to do something (bar burn a DVD) if I get the base model.

There's a £129 difference between the base and mid-range, but I can get 4gb of memory for £95.

Would that be the better option?

24. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, how good are the 2.0ghz for simple video editing? (obv minus the non-existent dvd burner probs...which can be overcome)

25. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Should be no problem what so ever.
    I would buy the 2.0 and max out on Ram, hell if you really need a dvd burner you can always buy a external one.