Difference between 2.1GHz and 2.4GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by whatwhat123, May 21, 2008.

1. whatwhat123 macrumors newbie

i am going to get a macbook, but can't decide between the white 2.1 or white 2.4. i don't really need the superdrive that much in the 2.4, so this really comes down to the processor. I will upgrade either one that i get to 4GB ram, so would i notice a huge difference in speed between the 2.1 and 2.4.

2. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

Ohhhhhhhhhh Ohhhhhhhhh I know this!!

.3 ghz!

Am I right? C'Mon...I'm right aren't I?

kixsand

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, you probably wouldn't, but that's dependent on how you will be using this MacBook.

4. chscag macrumors 65816

Get the white 2.4 with the superdrive. If you buy the 2.1 to save money thinking you don't need the ability to burn CDs\DVDs, you'll probably be sorry later that you didn't get it.

As for speed difference, you probably won't notice any.

Regards.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

just to be clear, as i havent had the pleasure of buying mac yet:( , the superdrive can burn dvds and cds while the other one can just do cds?

or am i mistaken?

honestly when it i do get my macbook (hopefully a redesigned aluminum one) the ability to burn dvds will be one of my lowest priorities, but then again mayb on a mac its possible to do (stupid windows likes to find every excuse/error to not allow me to burn a movie the ONE time i want to)

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yep, the combo drive means it will only burn CDs and read CDs and DVDs.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

oh, well thats perfect for me :D

thanks for the info:apple:

8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

No worries. It seems that the combo 2.1ghz model will do fine for you. Spend the difference on getting more ram as that will make the difference in speed. Worse case and you need a superdrive you can always buy an external DVD burner down the track :)

9. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

the combo drive can read CDs and DVDs but can only burn CDs. The superdrive can do pretty much anything (read/burn CDs, DVDs, dual layers +/- crap)

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Exactly my situation. The 200 dollars can be spent on a bigger HDD down the line or more memory like I did.

11. whatwhat123 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for all of you help, very much.
    if i did want to get an external superdrive in the future could i get one of the macbook air superdrives.

12. munckee macrumors 65816

I've yet to EVER burn a DVD on my superdrive. Just cause its something you need, doesn't mean everyone else does...

13. naid macrumors regular

I believe that the Air superdrive will only work with a Macbook Air.

14. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

i've had my laptop for 2-3 weeks now..i've burned about 4-5 dvds
    but that doesn't mean anything..it all depends on the user itself if you need a combo or a superdrive

15. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I have a DVD burner in my Mac, a DVD burner in my Windows desktop, and a DVD burner in my Windows Core2Duo laptop. I have never burned a DVD, and I see nothing in the future for doing so.

16. radellaf macrumors newbie

Not sure what extra it costs, but it is nice to have. RAM & HDD are easier to upgrade. (tho sure, external's not a bad option)

I mean, maybe you'll always use USB drives or external hard drives, but a DVD-R is a rather convenient way to backup data, and the cheapest way if you want to give someone more than 700MB.

I've never burned a _video_ DVD on mine, either.

17. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I personally went with 2.4 and superdrive, i dont really burn DVDs too much but you just never know when youre going to need something down the line, even if you dont see yourself needing it now you never know. buying an external drive is cumbersome when you can have everything in one neat, tight little package. just spend the extra $200 and save yourself the buyers remorse later on.

my .02