Difference between 2.2 and 2.4 macbook pro model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shuffles, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. shuffles macrumors 6502


    Nov 7, 2007
    dublin, ireland

    Im getting a pro soon, (im a switcher) and was wondering which model i should get?? I was going to get the 2.2ghz model but was wondering would i notice the difference between 2.2 and 2.4 and also the 128 sdram and the 256sdram?? Im a student but want a powerful laptop with a good graphics card. WOuld there be a huge difference between the 128 and 256 for gaming???

  2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Jan 1, 2007
    IMO there wouldn't be much of a performance difference but I would think the 256 sdram card would definitely be better for gaming .. :)
    So if the finances will stretch to the higher spec machine, that's the one to go for.
  3. TBi macrumors 68030


    Jul 26, 2005
    The 256MB card will allow you to use higher res textures but generally reviews coming in show that the 256MB version is about 10% faster in games than the 128MB version.

    Personally i don't think the 256MB version is worth it. The graphics card isn't really fast enough to run a high quality game that needs all the 256MB memory.
  4. maxpower13 macrumors newbie

    Nov 8, 2007
    Might wanna wait

    I'm in the same boat as you deciding between the two. It's a big price difference... just depends on how much you are gonna use it for games and video editing. Also I've decided to wait with all the rumors floating about. You might wanna do the same. The macbook pro is due for some kind of about pretty soon. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4461409#post4461409
  5. killerwhack macrumors regular


    Aug 5, 2004
    Los Angeles, California
    Resale value

    The difference between 2.2 and 2.4 shows up in resale value. I try to sell my old machines when I upgrade.
  6. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502


    Nov 7, 2007
    dublin, ireland
    Im gonna be playing a good few games

    Im gonna be playing a good few games but id also like to know that id be able to play any of the mac games that come out and not have to worry too much. If the cheaper card works fine then id prob get that cuz theres a pretty big price difference between the 2 models.

    Ive heard loadsa rumours bout an upgrade to the pro but to be honest i doubt there will be any huge difference to the machine. Although the recent one wasnt much to write home about, id be surprised if they completely revamped the pro in january.
  7. ktbubster macrumors 6502a


    Jan 20, 2007
    I'm upgrading my 2.0 cd mbp to a 2.2 sr mbp tomorrow (atleast it's supposed to arrive tomorrow) and then selling off my old one. I was in between the 2.2 nad 2.4 as well, but really it seems that for most applications the difference is minimal.

    Like some people I was going to wait till January as well, but decided not to, because IF they do upgrade (or manage to add a smaller 13inch mbp without teh mbs annoying integrated graphics) then I will probably want to wait till a rev B anyway, and still figure I can sell the 2.2 for a decent amount to make upgrading not really that expensive.

    All in all go for the 2.2 unless you just happen to have the extra cash available cause the 2.4 and better graphics will probably last a bit longer and hold resale value better, but otherwise you won't notice much. :)
  8. tibi08 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 17, 2007
    Brighton, UK
    I was deciding between 2.2 and the 2.4 - finally went with the 2.2. It's a big price difference for the minimal processor speed increase and extra GFX card memory.

    But then if I did play games on the MBP, which I don't, I probably would've gone with the 2.4 for the extra GFX memory.
  9. machatch macrumors regular


    Oct 19, 2007
    Price difference makes no sense

    there really is a big price difference..can't understand why the price difference from 2.2 - 2.4 15 " are 500$.are really the 0.2 + 40 gb + 128 mb vram worth 500$?
    and from 2.4 15" - 2.4 17 inch pluss high resolution there are only 400$?
    it's maybe smarter to buy the the 17" regarding price difference(if you got the money to spend....

Share This Page